1991 Bayliner Capri 2050 Max speed 38 mph at 3300 rpm

malibu3105

Seaman
I just purchased a boat from a friend.
It runs ok, but is a little hard to start. I am new to having a boat, so maybe my expectations are wrong. I expect it to start like a car, just turn the key and it starts.
But I have to pump the throttle a few times, and give about 50% gas for it to start. Even warm.
I was letting it idle on the lake, and it seems to idle slow and then stopped running. So I had to restart.

My WOT was 38 mph at about 3300 rpm, maybe less rpm.
The boat shop says I should go to a 4 blade which I think I will do.
My question here, is what would my optimum rpm be? Or is 3300 correct for max rpm?
The boat planes well and I had a good time on the lake. Just seems like I need a tune up maybe :)
It has a 4.3L V6 Mercury, so I believe that is the 200hp engine.
Also, only had 1/2 tank of gas or less, with just me on the boat. No gear except my ice chest.

Thanks,
Frank

malibu3105

Seaman
Also, not part of my question, but does anyone know how large the gas tank is? I put in 20 gals and I think I was about 1/4 tank.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Also, not part of my question, but does anyone know how large the gas tank is? I put in 20 gals and I think I was about 1/4 tank.

In a 20 foot boat I would be surprised if the gas tank held more than 20 gallons. If your gauge only shows 1/4 then the gauge is not working properly.
BTW... Welcome to iboats!!:welcome:

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like you have a 37 gallon capacity from what I found with a quick search. That probably sounds about right. I just picked up a 2004 Caravelle 187 BR and that has a 30 gallon tank.

I would think that a tune up is in order as well. Maybe some adjustments to the carb or a rebuild. A previous boat of ours had a similar issue with not wanting to idle and that was the culprit.

Although my dad is a mechanic which means that he knew exactly what the problem was but didn't want to fix it until he absolutely had to and would just not let it idle. I get it that he works on cars all day and doesn't want to work on engines when he isn't at work but it always annoyed me. That's why I picked up the new boat, all mine.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
38MPH is respectable for that boat/motor combo. I had an 18 footer with a 4.3 and I would get about 41MPH. I suspect your tach is inaccurate, and your RPM is closer to 4000-4300 RPM.

4.3L motor had between 170 and 205HP, depending on the kind of carb and the year.

malibu3105

Seaman
In a 20 foot boat I would be surprised if the gas tank held more than 20 gallons. If your gauge only shows 1/4 then the gauge is not working properly.
BTW... Welcome to iboats!!:welcome:

Dave,
Sorry, I should have said it had about 1/4 tank BEFORE I put in 20 gallons. so the tank is at least 20 gallons. The fuel gage was bouncing all over. I get that it is a boat. When it sat it would tent to settle towards 1/2 I think. But made me nervous when I was under power to see it go to E and then bounce to 1/4.
Better safe than sorry, so I will probably just keep that gave at 1/2 or over.

Also, my first time out. I guess I could just take out a can of gas and run until I am out. Then I know.
But then, not sure I want to be out on a boat with a can of gas..... Bad idea.

Maclin

Admiral
The engine starting procedural issues you are experiencing are totally normal. This boat engine is like trying to start a car from the 70's when all they had were carburetors, not fuel injection. That WOT RPM is low. Should be 4400-4800. .At this point the Pitch of the prop will affect the RPM more than number of blades or diameter.

So to be accurate in any advice given, we need the Pitch you are running now, also the verified RPM and top speed., meaning make sure the Tachometer is accurate. When I run the numbers you gave thru a prop calculator, and assuming a 1.65 ratio, the prop unknown would come in around a 21 pitch. If the assumed ratio is correct then a drop in pitch is indicated for correcting the Propping for your boat.

Last edited:

tlombard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't think you would need to worry about having a can of gas on the boat but then again, I'm a guy who's had a few pontoons over the years with a removable 6 gallon gas tank on each side on the back which is basically the same thing.

I'd be more concerned with current and what not if you are on a river and plan on running it out of gas. If you are on a lake, much less to worry about but I'm just not a fan of ever running out of gas on purpose. Probably unfounded but something about it just doesn't feel right. I was on the Mississippi on a boat that belonged to friends of the family a couple of years ago and the marinas were closed and we had to let somebody off at shore to run across the street to buy a gas can and gas just to be have that safety net since we couldn't fill up and for some reason instead of just adding the few gallons there, it was decided that we should be fine getting back to the ramp and to just go for it. Well, we ran out of gas within a couple hundred yards of the ramp and that was a bit scary because at that point trying to add the gas while floating down the river towards a bridge with no control wasn't an ideal situation. Running out of gas is something I will never take lightly again.

My only other experience was on the lake I go to in my first pontoon. I only put one tank on the back and headed out with a larger than normal group of friends without realizing how much the extra people would impact the fuel situation. We only ran to our normal cove and then back at the end of the day but the extra load basically doubled the consumption and I ran out within sight of the ramp on the way back. A couple of us had to jump in and swim the boat over to a dock. Thankfully people were hanging out on the dock and gave me a ride to the truck to get the other gas tank. I could have walked the few hundred yards but dragging a full 6 gallon tank back would have been a chore!

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
My info says the 2050 came with a 175 hp 4.3 with a 1.81 ratio.
I'm assuming you could option up to more hp.
The 175 with a 21"prop if it could make 4800 rpm could make about 46 mph.
I agree your tach is in error
We need to know your prop size and actual setup and a lightly loaded wot gps speed perhaps you could borrow
a shop tach.

malibu3105

Seaman
The engine starting procedural issues you are experiencing are totally normal. This boat engine is like trying to start a car from the 70's when all they had were carburetors, not fuel injection. That WOT RPM is low. Should be 4400-4800. .At this point the Pitch of the prop will affect the RPM more than number of blades or diameter.

So to be accurate in any advice given, we need the Pitch you are running now, also the verified RPM and top speed., meaning make sure the Tachometer is accurate. When I run the numbers you gave thru a prop calculator, and assuming a 1.65 ratio, the prop unknown would come in around a 21 pitch. If the assumed ratio is correct then a drop in pitch is indicated for correcting the Propping for your boat.

Ok, the speed was using a GPS so that is accurate. Not sure about the RPM. I will be pulling the prop this weekend, and can check the specs on it.
Good to know that hard starting is normal. And makes sense. My guess is a tune up will help.
Do I worry about flooding? meaning pumping the gas before turning it over is normal? Or maybe just pump once and go 1/2 throttle then start.....

malibu3105

Seaman
Any thoughts on the gas gauge? Do you all see a bouncing needle as your boating? I would assume so, how low do you let it get?
As long as it's bouncing then I figure there is something in there...
BTW, this is at Lake Perris. No river, not much current. So not to far to get back to the ramps.
thx

malibu3105

Seaman
I emailed Bayliner, and they said this boat has a 130hp engine, and a 30 gallon fuel tank. So I had about 10 gallons of fuel left.
Also, at 130hp, 38 mph is pretty good. so I am probably doing well :)
I will still do a tune up, and look at a 4 blade for when we start pulling wake boards. But for now I think the setup is pretty good.

I will just have to get used to how the fuel gauge behaves as I get low. I had about 1/3 left when I took her in.

Maclin

Admiral
The 130hp engine is a 3.0 liter 4 cylinder. Is that what you have? Does not look anything like a 4.3l V-6, just sayin'...

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The bouncing gas gauge could be an electrical problem, or a bad gauge. You might check the connections, to stop the bounce, or the needle will likely break.

It should be easy to see if you have a V6 motor (square, with 2 manifolds) or inline 4 (rectangle). The base motor was likely the 3.0. Optional power was likely the 4.3 V6.

In case you do not know the starting procedure. Turn on blower and let her run 5 min. Then push throttle only button in and pump throttle twice. Set throttle 1/2 to 1 inch advanced of neutral (still in throttle only setting). Crank motor and when she starts, adjust idle speed to 1200 RPM or so, until she is warm. Pull handle to neutral and then drive normally.

Tune up of that motor is replacing spark plugs, wires, dist cap and rotor. These are marine specific, as ignition is custom to Mercruiser.

If that doesn't make it start well, carb or choke may need some work. Most Mercruisers have a choke made up of electric+ mechanical components.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander
38 MPH is about right for a 3.0 in a 20' boat. My boat runs 36 with ski prop, 38 with all around prop and 40 with a speed prop. I agree the tach must be off - does it plane quickly ? I hooked a tiny tach knock off to my boat to verify my RPM gauge. you can get them for 20 bucks on ebay - make sure you ground it to get an accurate reading.

now if you do have a 4.3 then you have other issues. it's easy to tell just pop the dog cage and the carb will say 3.0 or 4.3 right on the top.

southkogs

Staff member
"Johnny-Come-Lately," but here I am:

I've got an '02 1950 Capri/Classic. I've got a 28 gallon tank (yes, the needle bounces while I'm runnin'). WOT on the 3.0 is between 4400 and 4800 (as I currently understand it), but I cruise right about 3200 RPM. That's got me going around 30MPH -ish. Light load and running everything wide open, I can get into the low 40s with it (I forget what prop I've got on it. I've still got the numbers from my OMC I just got rid of in my head, but it's not a 4 blade.).

Welcome aboard.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
You told us it was a 4.3 thats a V6 and I think the 175 is the smallest hp.There can be 175, 205,210 and 220 4.3.
Your 20 footer could be mid 40s close to 50 mph.in fine tune and light load.

malibu3105

Seaman
Thanks for the advise. It is hard to start, so going to get a full service. I was out this last weekend, and one going she seems to run well. At WOT 3,700rpm had me at 41mph, so not bad. My guess is I need a tune up and a different prop. WOT is supposed to be 4,400 to 4,800 rpm, which is stamped on the engine.
I am thinking of going to a 4 blade since my son and daughter want to wake board. btw, the boat when cold won't keep running at idle. I have to keep some gas on. Once warm I can go 5mph in gear and she keeps running. But if I idle, it will run for a while but eventually quits. So I think a tune up and idle adjustment will help a lot. Plus should start easier.
This weekend I had to keep the starter going about 30 seconds to get it to run.