1990 yamaha pro 50 stalls

Re: 1990 yamaha pro 50 stalls

When you rebuilt carbs did you use new kits or reuse all of the needles and gaskets. Did you examine the needles and seats, look for a depression on the needle? Because it sounds like you are unable to transfer fuel to the top of the cylinder. This could be from a damaged piston skirt. Their really is no way to check primary compression but I have noticed that if you get some powertune ( OMC engine tuner) and squirt liberally into the #3 carb and see if you can get the cylinder to fire (this is some cases will create a seal if the piston skirt is damaged but it depends how badly it is damaged) another "test" is if you get a piece of paper and hold it in front of the carb. Watch how the piece of paper moves back and forth and note the amount of fuel on the piece of paper. If their is more fuel on the piece of paper on the number 3 than the others it may indicate that the piston is not able to transfer to the intake port as the piston moves toward BDC. This is really rare though, I have only seen this about 5 times in my entire career. Like I said these are tests that I have sort of had to invent because the only way to determine that the piston is scored is to tear it down. One more test is to remove all the coils except for #3 and squirt some fuel into the spark plug hole and quickly put the plug back in and start the engine and see if it pops off, but you know you have good compression. Without being there and doing these things myself, I am at a loss. Leaking labrynth seal? Flexed reeds? I dunno?

199675hpforce

Petty Officer 1st Class

Alway's replace fuel pump if motor is older. I rebuilt mine $6bucks and is easy as pie to do. Installing brand new $40 even easier 2 10mm bolts pops it off, then make sure your new gasket is in place for hole in block to line up. Order new gasket or your going to have to reuse old one. Lucky diaphram kits do have this part. Also something I found on pump kits you could install one parts wrong goes rubber diaphram then extruded part maybe only Mallory kits are this way. Yamaha kit looked like one piece unit and also had clear diaphram. Now that this is done how many turns on pilot screws are you running 360 degree's plus 180. Try clockwise 90 degrees and see how it runs so 1 1/4 turns not 1/4 turn that would be to lean.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral

I do not have a manual for your motor and I do not need one, but you do so buy one.

Does this thing have a choke or is it a prime Start enrichment type?

If you have good compression and spark then check to make sure the timing is correct.
if that is all good the you are either getting too much fuel into the cylinder or not enough to let it fire properly. Spraying a fuel/oil mix into the carb will tell you if adding more fuel helps.

Would not be the 1st time carb cleaning did not work properly or something plugged it back up from lines or pump once it was started back up. That is why it is good to pull and clean pump and lines when doing carbs.

I have found a small piece of dried fuel that looked like clear plastic floating around in a carb bowl that came out of line or pump, it would get sucked up into the jet and stop fuel flow

mdawson28

Cadet

it was a choke on the side off # 3 carb was thinking that might be a problem
what should the compression be on that motor?
how do you set the timing i have a timing light were do you move the timing from
thanks for the 2 stroke on line coarse

replace the fuel line and primer ball from tank to motor no help

really want to say thanks to everyone helping

p50yama.png

pro50yama1.png

mdawson28

Cadet

what is the proper compression for the cylinders in psi !!!!!

One more test you could do is to verify all the cylinders at TDC and take some masking tape and take a rubbing of the timing grid from #1 cylinder and place the "0" at your indexed TDC mark. This will not be 100% accurate but will give you an indication of what time each cylinder is firing at. May show something may not...

mdawson28

Cadet

Took timing light and watched all three cylinders are firing not at mark just off
What do you adjust to set timing?
How do you set timing ?
When motor at idle what line on the CDi box should the pointer be at ?