1990 Wellcraft Eclipes 187 Rotten floor and stringers

djatl

Recruit
The floor and plywood stringers are rotten so I've started removing everything. Seems the PO rebuilt the floor and seat boxes as well as the cushion backing out of 3/4 ply with no resin or glass what so ever! The strongest part has been the carpet glue which came up with pieces of plywood still attached.

First let me state that I have NO experience with fiberglass or resins. I do know basically what everything is, just have never worked with any of it. So I got to have some help! I've looked and read here for hours and have gained a lot but need links to pages to help me go on.

The floor/deck that I'm ripping out appears to be a replacement floor/deck. Making my new floor/deck the third one!

Questions;

1.) Everything is covered in black slime, is this dangerous?

2.) The floor/decking plywood is edge taped with fiberglass very thinly to what appears to be "tabbing" where it meets the hull. This "tabbing" may have been where the original floor/deck was, as it is very ridged fiberglass and mesh but only comes out several inches from the hull.

3.) The plywood stringers are rotten but the fiberglass is still there, how do I proceed? And it looks like the fiberglass only comes up the sides but is not wrapped over the top. Is that normal?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Last edited: