1990 Mercury 40HP (Classic) red and black wire

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So, I have everything hooked up (I think) and there is a red wired and black wire heading towards the choke solinoid.. I have no idea where they plug in. The black wire has a connector to bolt onto a ground, and the red wire is a female pin type connector. They are coming from the powerhead harness, not the electronic ignition box.
Any ideas?

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
On the 2002 engine, the choke solenoid is actually a fuel enrichment is black/yellow. All non direct wiring to the battery (including remote switched...like a switch on the dash for lights) are purple or red/purple and operated off the control boxes ignition switch. The choke would come from the control box and probably activated by pushing in on the key as you start the engine. Does that help?

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Choke is connected and working. This red and black wire set is unknown. It heads in the same direction as the choke set.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
If the red comes directly off the input terminal of the starting solenoid ⅜" stud then I'd say it's power for an external accessory. That stud is battery voltage distribution to wherever. Does everything about your engine work? If so that supports my assumption.

Schtoopid

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Yup. Everything works. And the red wire is in no danger of shorting out.
However the black wire looks like it really should be connected to something..

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
It's a ground wire and could be tied to anything. However, I still think the pair were for some sort of auxillary power.