1990 Force L-drive 120hp. Water in cylinder

Trouterboy

Cadet
I've been having trouble starting my boat (Bayliner Capri). When I pull the plugs and run the motor with the starter a gray, thick gassy-smelling fluid comes out of the bottom cylinder. It coats the plug when plug is in. A little of this fluid shows up is on the plug/cylinder just above the bottom one but not nearly as much. Bottom cylinder takes in a lot of this fluid. I can only imagine it to be a mixture of water, gas, and oil as this is a 50:1 mix.

I hooked up the garden hose to water in-take hose as per manual to check for water leaking into cylinder. Seemed to remain dry after four minutes of running. No water was leaking out the cylinder at plug hole. I could hear the water moving through the motor fine. Seemed to circulate well.

I blasted out all the cylinders with air hose now - put small hose into cylinder. A lot of the gray greasy stuff came out of the bottom cylinder. Cleaned it out with air as best I could. Put it all back together again. Would not start. Pulled off bottom spark plug and turned it over. A lot of water came out this time. And it was clearly water. In big bursts depending on where the piston was positioned I guess. So obviously I have a problem. But I don't know the solution. Head gasket? Something else.

Many people slam Force motors on this site. Don't know whether it is worth putting in work. This is my first year with this boat. I love the boat and would love to keep it if repairing this would not be too expensive and would get me through a few more years.

Thoughts? Please share. Thanks.

Last edited:

Trouterboy

Cadet
Re: 1990 Force L-drive 120hp. Water in cylinder

Thanks pnwboat. Which do you think I should start with first? I am opting for the head gasket. I updated my last post after you responded to it. There is now a lot of water, minus all the grease, coming into the bottom cylinder when I turn over the starter. Really want to get out by the first week of August. Any other advice on where to start is appreciated. I am not that familiar with marine engines at all. Cars, not so bad.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Your guess is as good as anyone else's. The head gasket is probably a little easier. Just be aware that sometimes the head bolts get seized in the block and if you don't watch out, you can snap them off when removing them, which creates a problem. The same applies to the bolts that hold the exhaust cover on.

Trouterboy

Cadet

Okay, thanks. That's good to know. It'll be like working on an old Chev I guess. I'll look forward to the y knuckles I guess.

Babylon519

Cadet

Do yourself a favor and replace the exhaust gasket at the same time as the head gasket. I had the same problem several years ago and I exchanged one, and then the other gaskets. Finally in exasperation, I renewed both gaskets at the same time, and it fixed the problem. I may have just gotten a lemon gasket - don't know - but "third time was a charm". My advise: if water in the bottom cylinder is the only problem with the motor, it's definitely worth fixing.

Trouterboy

Cadet

Okay. Problem solved. It was definitely the exhaust gasket. Re and re'd the power head. Old gasket was a mess. Replaced it, problem solved, runs great now. Pulling the power head was way easier then I thought it would be. Glad I tried it as I learned something new. Keeping the boat, love the body and layout of interior. Thanks for all the help guys.