1990 Force 120 Carb bowl leaking.

rendog3

Cadet
Uncovered the boat yesterday..yeah. I changed the in-line fuel filter, and when done pumped up the fuel line to check for leaks. No leaks in fuel line, but when the bulb was pumped hard the top carb bowl would leak a little bit. I figure that the bowl would never see the pressure I put on it, by pumping the bulb so hard, under normal operations, thoughts?? Maybe not a big deal?<br /><br />Does anyone know where to get carb bowl gaskets for a Force 120hp, 1990?

rendog3

Cadet
Re: 1990 Force 120 Carb bowl leaking.

Sorry...one more thing.<br /><br />When the engine is shutoff, and tilted up, a bit of gas leaks out the carbs? Normal?<br /><br />Thanks....

glass from the past

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Good question Rendog3,<br /><br />I am curious to see what everyone's take on this is. I had what sounds like a similar problem, when I cleaned out my fuel bowl last summer. (boat sat for a year with gas in it prior to me buying it) I ended up with a leak that was actually from where the bolt meets the fuel bowl to attach it to the carb. I thought the leak was from the bowl gasket, which I changed and I still had the problem. Changed the washer on the bowl out for a rubber one and my leak went away. I noticed before that when pumping the fuel line, the bulb would get hard, but I could still pump it. Now that the leak is fixed, I noticed that I can pump it about 3 - 4 times and no more. <br /><br />I would fix it because I noticed two problems with the leaky bowl, first, after an afternoon run, I would have fuel and 2 stroke all over the bottom of the inside of the motor, secondly my motor has the spark control sitting under the carb assembly! a dangerous situation as well as potentially damaging to my motor.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

With the low cost of a carb rebuild kit at NAPA and other stores, why not just rebuild the carb. Also change the fuel pump diaphragm while you're at it. Mine leaked last year , rebuilt it and end of problem. BTW, I love animals-they're delicious and I have 4 T shirts that say so.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Just what scotinay says. The needle valve is not creating a good seal and allowing the float bowl to overfill. However it is normal for the gas to drip when motor is up and locked