1990 Force 120, Block gets HOT.

rendog3

Cadet
Hello...maybe I am just paranoid, but fired up the motor in a tub last night(getting ready for striper season), and after it idled for about 10-15 minutes the block by #4 cylider got HOT. #1 cylider is warm, then it progresses down to #4(on the bottom) being HOT, so hot that after a second you have to pull your hand away. <br /><br />There is significant water flow out the holes halfway up the leg, it is a steady stream of warm water out these holes....and when the motor is kicked into high idle for a few minutes the block by #4 cylider cools down some.<br /><br />Is this normal?? Or do I need to fix something????

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1990 Force 120, Block gets HOT.

No it isn't normal. Replace the thermostat, and cross your fingers, that the exaust ports are clear.<br />The symptom of uneqaul head temp is usually due to a tstat not opening like it should, or cooling circuit blockage. I would also replace the impeller if the motor hasn't been turned-over in less than 1year, or if it is older than 2 seasons, regardless of actual hours, because it may have taken a set.<br />And congrats on a fine job of checking her out before blowing her up. Now that is a prime expample for all to see, of preventive maintainence.
emthup.gif

rendog3

Cadet
Re: 1990 Force 120, Block gets HOT.

Here is an update....<br /><br />Last night I put it back in the tub and fired it up again, at idle the block was hot on bottom and cooler on top, but when bumped up to about 2300rpm the entire block got COOL. Ran this way for a minute or two, then bumped back down to idle and it wasn't as bad a before, all cylinders were warm, not so hot you had to pull your hand away.<br /><br />Also, I adjusted the idle mixture screws, I think the bottom carb was running a bit lean(which may be the reason why #3 and #4 cylinders were HOT)...my question is, I am not 100% confident on where I set the screws, I followed the books instructions, but it is not that precise. Any thoughts/tips on adjusting the idle mixture screws?? They are now set at about 1.5 full turns out.<br /><br />Thanks...Jason