1990 Donzi DL-190 Rebuild

atv_freak

Seaman Apprentice

I was able to get an hour or so if work in this afternoon and got it all seperated!

I took some measurements and cut some notches in a couple pieces of wood to hold the hull in the right position. I'll probably add at least one more just to be safe.

Pete_a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking good, how does the cap come off? Is it screwed on or did you have to cut it? Much sealant on it? My donzi i almost at first thought he swim platform let water leak in if its not sealed enough as my seam line would be in water at times

atv_freak

Seaman Apprentice
It was actually pretty easy. Just take the rubber guard off, remove lots of screws and deal with the existing caulk. Yeah, the swim platform is definitely going to get special attention when the cap goes back on... it has the potential to let a lot of water in!

atv_freak

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Well, had an unexpected turn of events. The Donzi rebuild is officially canceled! I now have a mint condition (with an asterisk) 1990 Maxum 2150 sitting in my driveway. I haven't done any exploratory drilling yet, but I can't find a single red flag for even a hint of wetness or rot. The previous owner kept it in a garage with a dehumidifier. From what I can see I bet there are some brand new boats that are in worse condition. So the asterisk is it has a hydrolocked engine, which looks like it caused a bent piston rod. The plan is to take the running engine from the Donzi that's sitting in the garage and swap all the mercruiser parts over to it and drop it into the Maxum. Then I'll dig into the hydrolocked engine to see how extensive the damage is because the previous owner bought it new a couple years ago and it only has 40 hours on it. It also has a newer SEI outdrive (he hit a submerged log a couple years ago). I figure for the $1500 that it cost me, I would have had to sink close to or more than that into just materials for the Donzi. I need to strip everything else of value off the Donzi and then start putting parts up for sale (hopefully I can recoup some of the it's original cost) Someday I would still like to rebuild a boat, but I think it would be better timed after the kiddos grow up a little bit. Mod EDIT: Offer removed

Attachments

• photo253406.jpg
    photo253406.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:

Pete_a

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ah man no donzi rebuild! Haha, cant blame you the maxum looks sharp! Will you be doing a thread of the engine swap? So prob ingested water from bad exhaust. Not too hard to replace a rod and than youll have a backup engine. Nice find

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I think he has veered away from glass work till kids are older, yeah id worry about kids getting wandering glass in the skin and what not.

Baylinerchuck

Commander
Looks like he's still around, but it is apparent this thread is closed. Hopefully he made out better with the 1990 Maxim then I did with a 1990 Chap.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Lets let this topic lie dormant until atv comments. He's been on iboats since, but hasnt commented here in over 2months. I expect he's finished w this topic as he's replaced the boat w another and made his plans clear.

Thanks

atv_freak

Seaman Apprentice
Sorry guys, completely forgot about this thread! I ended up stripping the Donzi down and hauling the shell to the landfill. My 3 year old got really confused on why the tractor was crushing our boat into a million pieces!

Of course I ran into some issues with swapping motors in the Maxum, but I'm currently wiring it all back up and will hopefully start it up for the first time by the end of the weekend!