1990 60HP WOT Problems

rmaillet

Recruit
I have a 1990 60HP Johnson and it is having trouble at WOT or RPMs above 4000.

Problem:
When the engine is cold(ish) it will have trouble out of the hole, it may make it out and stay at WOT for 20sec then cuts out and I have to bring the boat down to idle. As of late, the engine has been shutting off and will not restart right away. I can tell (90% sure) that there is no spark for a couple of mins just after it dies. It will idle and run at lower RPMs really well. I do warm up the engine at the dock, but it's prob. only at 60% opp temperature.

The problem is getting worse, it seems to do it all the time now, a few weeks ago it would only act up 1-2 times then it settled itself down. I have a feeling it's just going to get to the point where I'm stuck out in the lake.

The problem seems to be related to engine temperature, the engine will act up for 10-15min and seems to settle down when it's at proper warm-up temp. The engine is hot to the touch but def. not over heating. Good water stream. No overheat horn alarm. The problem is getting worse. I've rulled out gas and carbs 99%. The VRO is by-passed and 50:1 mix is good Johnson/Evin 2-stroke oil. 91octane etc... I think I have an ignition issue. The power head was rebuilt a few years back and all gas lines replaced and tank flushed and carbs rebuilt (by marina) last summer. The problem does not seem fuel, since it works great after 15-20min. New plugs. I have not tried to jump the spark or test the powerpack/coils.

I've heard power-pack issue... maybe fusable link on the main cable?

Any help is appriciated.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Re: 1990 60HP WOT Problems

Start testing the ohms on the timer base and charger when cold.Your book will have number ranges.

rmaillet

Recruit
Re: 1990 60HP WOT Problems

As a follow-up, I ended up taking the boat in and the dealer replaced the power pack. Bench test as well as post-opp water test seem to suggest it was indeed a faulty power pack.

So far so good.... but 20yr old 60HP is perhaps in re-power range soon.