1990 30hp fuelpump

rocketman007

Cadet
Hi,<br />i used my seloc manual for evinrude/johnson outboards to locate the reason for following problem: The motor dies at full speed, only pumping the bulb let it work. Then it runs ok.<br /><br />First, i checked the line from tank to fuelpump, it workes fine. In the manual you have now to test the fuelpump, cranking the motor. "If the fuelpump is operating properly, a healthy strem of fuel should pulse out of the line". The picture shows a 6hp evinrude, i´ve got 30hp. Is it the same with this motor, or is the pulse less because this stronger motor is harder to crank? There was only a little (very little) flow of fuel. Is it possible to clean it, in the book there a two ways of fuel pumps. Mine has screws, it seems, it can be opened. Is a new one expensive? <br />Many thanks to all, especialy those, who can give me some hints, Volker<br /><br />If you want i can sent a picture while cranking the motor, so you better can imagine, when i´m talking about "very little".

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1990 30hp fuelpump

Your fuel pump is failing, Volker.<br /><br />An overhaul kit should fix it right up.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rocketman007

Cadet

Hi,<br />today I phoned my dealer. The fuelpump-repair-kit is not expensive, I think the best to do. <br />But - even the dealer can´t tell, what´s inside. <br />Can anyone tell me? Enough parts, to make it work again?<br /><br />Thanks, Volker

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Howdy, Volker.<br /><br />More than enough parts. You will have replacements for everything except the castings.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

rocketman007

Cadet

@all<br /><br />Many thanks, erverything now works fine! In fact, the diaphragm in the inside of the pump was seriously damaged. I used a fuel pump repair kit, the complete change of the pump was not needed.<br /><br />Bye, Volker