1989 Johnson SPL 48 head gasket

mixerjv

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm normally a merc guy but was given a SPL 48. A straw from my fogging oil fell into the cylinder, so I removed the cylinder head (and thermostat, including the PITA plastic screw cover). Normally I would by the factory service manuals in addition to a clymer, but not trying to invest a lot in this thing.

Got the new head gasket, the sierra gasket has printed on it "DO NOT USE SEALER"

I was planning on at least using OMC gasket adhesive, should I not?

Also - torque values? For the sequence, I assume start middle bolts and work outward (up down up down)?

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
for an 87' 48spl, 218-240 in./lbs.and torque in stages, re-torque after first hour running when cold

7 8

3 4

2 1

6 5

10 9

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
You need to get hold of one of those long tweezers, and maybe a spring loaded grabber with a flexible stem -- and maybe one of those small magnets on an extendable stem (sort of stuff you see in bargain bins at hardware stores, but curiously don't see on their display racks.)

It's a good idea to resurface the head cover while you are at it. Use some 400-600 grit wet/dry sandpaper on a hard surface, and rotate the mating surface in figure 8s until surface is uniformly shiny.