1989 Johnson GT150 No spark!

sundaydrive86

Seaman Apprentice
What are the common issues with no spark. Bought the boat with a motor that was not running. No spark on any of the spark plugs.
Stator?
CDI?
All coils can't be bad. So is there some easy ways to check for defective parts?
Really want to hit the rivers for fishing soon.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
That engine must crank at least 250 rpm's in order to fire the ignition system. I'd do some testing as mentioned in the CDI troubleshooting guide. I prefer to test the cranking output voltages on the stator and timer base, as called out in the guide. If both of these components test ok, (within spec) then I'd be looking at the power pack as the main culprit. You'll need a special "peak reading" voltmeter to check cranking voltages. All of these ignition components are expensive, so some testing on our part is the most economical way to repair it. (not a fan of just replacing all the parts.)

sundaydrive86

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

So I did some searching and ohm readings around the engine withe the CDI trouble shooting guide. Couldn't seem to find the issue.
I made sure the engine was cranking over fast enough. I ended up finding one coil that had spark. After finding that one coil that had spark I moved the orange wire on the back of the coil to another coil and that then had spark and it didn't before. It seems that there is power coming from the cdi box because of the orange wire but only to one coil. The coils are originals and old so they could be bad but by changing the orange wire I was able to get spark on a different cylinder. Can anyone direct me in the next possible solution. Thank you.

Attachments

• photo240361.jpg
    photo240361.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 2

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I would be doing an inspection of the starter and brushes.-----That would be a " no penny spent " exercise / test.

Will Bark

Lieutenant
Have you had the battery load tested to see if can spin the motor the 250/300 RPMS that's required?

sundaydrive86

Seaman Apprentice
I have not but I was unsure of the cranking rpms, so I hooked up some jumpers to my diesel pickup. So I think it was cranking fast enough.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Pull the sparkplugs and retest.. These "T" pack ignitions are one of the hardest to troubleshoot and 75% of the time its a pack or flywheel....

sundaydrive86

Seaman Apprentice
Sparkplug were pulled to get the engine to turn over the fastest. The orange wire that is providing the coil with spark, where does that come from? Power pack? And it's so weird that only one coIL has spark. No troubleshooting guide has that senerrio. Keep the ideas coming thanks a bunch!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The orange wires come from the powerpack.---They carry voltage that is stepped up to a higher voltage by the coil.---That voltage jumps the gap in the plug to give the spark......

Rich F

Recruit
I have a 1989 Johnson gt150. Runs but all cylinders on right side are firing. All on the left side are not firing.