1989 Johnson GT 150 no spark

chesney1603

Seaman
I have no spark at the plugs. It started and ran just fine two days ago. Lanyard is connected to kill switch. Can I bypass the kill switch, and How?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1989 Johnson GT 150 no spark

Disconnect the electrical cable from the control box at the big red plug inside the cowling. Use automotive jumper cables to activate the engine's starter. When it's cranking, check for spark at some of the spark plugs. If it's sparking, you've got a problem somewhere in the control box or it's harness. Also could be a failed/shorted key switch.

chesney1603

Seaman

I will try that thanks. FYI I had a similar situation happen once while out on the water. I wouldn't start and sounded like it was cranking faster than normal. I pulled the kill switch lanyard then hooked it back up. The boat started on the very next turn of the key.
Yesterday when I tried starting it the boat sounded like it was cranking faster than normal again.
I will try what you suggested as soon as the neighbors wake up.

chesney1603

Seaman

I also noticed yesterday that my primer bulb is rock hard, even after cranking it for damn near an hour.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The fuel hose bulb should get hard when you first prime it each morining. Once the engine runs and draws fuel through the hose, the bulb will soften a little, but should not collapse on itself. A bulb which stays hard after it's running probably has a bad ball valve inside it. It's possible in your case that no fuel is going through the bulb to the engine. (try another fuel hose assy.)