1989 Johnson 150 low fuel pressure alarm ???

PULLNIT

Seaman Apprentice
Hi All<br /> I have a 1989 Johnson 150 with the VRO disconnected. When I start the motor it runs fine,After running for about 3 minutes the low fuel pressure alarm sounds. If I pump the fuel bulb the alarm goes off. Then I put the boat in gear and the alarm sounds again. It will do this for the first mile or two of operation then will not sound again untill it is stopped cooled off and restarted,then the alarm sounds again. I noticed the fuel line from the bulb to the motor has some dry rot cracking. Can this be the problem even if gas is not leaking out? Can air be getting in?

Hooty

Rear Admiral
Re: 1989 Johnson 150 low fuel pressure alarm ???

I don't know if that cracked, dry-rotted hose iz your problem or not but I'd start by replacing it. There's no pressure on it, just suction.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

PULLNIT

Seaman Apprentice

I plan on replacing fuel line. Can anyone tell me a good place to find a fuel pump kit and how hard of a job is it to do a rebuild.<br /> Thanks John

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

Your alarm is not for low fuel pressure, it is for a restriction in the fuel system. Most of the time the fault is in the boat from a plugged fuel pickup, bad anti-siphon valve, kinked hose, plugged filter, etc.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

what seahoirse says. its telling you all about the piston your going to fry if you dont fix your fuel system, you guys running with alarms make me about 40 grand a year. keep running it with the alarm and you may get to support your local marine tech.<br /> good luck and keep posting<br />ps and after a piston replacement you will still have to fix the fuel system. see where this is leading?

PULLNIT

Seaman Apprentice

Hey RODDOPE<br /> Who said I was running with a alarm !! I just wanted some input on where to look. I am not looking to support you by blowing a piston. I will check all my fuel lines,inlets and filters-I just wanted to know if a bad fuel pump diaphram could give this alarm.<br /> John

felix_antoine

Recruit

Hey pullnit,<br /><br />I have also a Johnson 1989 150hp and this summer i decided to disconnect the VRO system. After that I had some problem with the fuel pressure(I think). When I'm on idle,it's ok but when I go over 30 mph, I have to squezze the "hand pump", If not, the motor goes off...<br /><br />I've check all of my connection and I have the same problem. <br /><br />The proble is that before I disconnect my VRO, the fuel pressure was ok...so I dont think the main problem is our fuel line.<br /><br />So if you find a clue about it, tell me please!<br /><br />I don't have anymore fun to ride a 150hp like a 9.9hp :) <br /><br />thx <br />Félix