1989 gt 150 crankcase seal

sundaydrive86

Seaman Apprentice
Rebuilding johnson gt150. What type of gasket sealant is used for the crankcase? Book recommends a gel seal? Can I run to local hardware store for gasket maker or do I need to run to a dealer? Thanks for the help!!

SparkieBoat

Captain
I like the black oil resistant stuff from your local store for that situation. I never did like that gel seal, I got a tube of it, just does not seem to do as well to me.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
No you don't want to use silicon as it will blow out!!!!!! Use the gelseal or Loctite 518 and the primer...you can get it at auto parts store..

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
The red gel seal works fine and has been recommended by the factory for years. I'd be using two+ tubes on a V6.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This is a precision joint !!!----Use only the factory " gel seal " or loctite 518 sealer.------The surfaces must be absolutely clean and free of bumps /. old sealer / imperfections that will prevent a metal to metal joint.-----All you need to use is a 1/16" diameter bead of sealer. . ----Most of the sealer should squeeze out to get the metal to metal fit.----The metal to metal fit is important to get the proper clamp-up on the bearings !!!----Failure to take proper care in this operation can have disastrous results.

SparkieBoat

Captain
better listen to these guys, they know their stuff, my experience is limited with this, but I have not had mine blow out. the gel just did not seem to work well for me, it seemed to get pressed out of the joint. but I would stick to OMC recommendations.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The " gelseal " is supposed to sqeeze out of the joint to get the metal to metal fit.------And gelseal is a " low filler " sealing material in order to be able to do that.---I have measured the thickness of sealer on some failed rebuilds and it was 0.008" thick. so no wonder they failed.

SparkieBoat

Captain
gotcha..i thought it was not sealing good because it got pressed out.. I stand corrected. thanks guys