1989 Doral Prestancia

Status
Not open for further replies.

twobits

Seaman Apprentice
We just became the proud owners of a new to us 89 Prestancia. It is in original condition and has been very well cared for. We have begun bringing back the old girl by replacing lights etc. and are wondering where to source some of the funky hardware pieces. In particular, looking for the access panel slider covers if possible. Also trying to source replacement for the 'mirror' acrylic panels.

Any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• East Gwillimbury-20120929-00007.jpg
    East Gwillimbury-20120929-00007.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 2
  • East Gwillimbury-20120929-00019.jpg
    East Gwillimbury-20120929-00019.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 2
  • East Gwillimbury-20120929-00020.jpg
    East Gwillimbury-20120929-00020.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 2

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Doral Prestancia

Congrats on the new to you purchase, looks nice. I recently purchased a 2000 Doral 250SE, it is out of the water getting all ready for 24/7 life in the salt. Great condition overall and a 1 owner boat. I can't help you with where to source parts but I am sure there will be a reply soon. Enjoy!

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

Good looking boat. As for hard to find things, there's a good chance you will have to improvise. The sliders shouldn't be hard for a specialized company to make.

twobits

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the great links!

We are hoping to find out what the access hatch in the aft berth is supposed to look like. If any other Doral owners are out there and can share it would be most appreciated. Doesn't matter what colour scheme your boat has we just want to see what it should look like. I can't upload the photo to show you what we have.

By the way....we are going to update the cabin upholstery and will post pics as we get it completed.

Thanks all!

Here is the pic of the Aft Cabin

Attachments

• pic of aft cabin port side.jpg
    pic of aft cabin port side.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 2

twobits

Seaman Apprentice

Good morning:

We have been trying to locate the appropriate cover for one of the gas tanks. Currently it has a blue water cap on it. Some challenge finding the right cover with the correct thread. Does anyone know specifically what part number or where we can find this item? Thank you.

twobits

Seaman Apprentice

Woohoo progress.

Found the replacement gas tank cover.

Had a heck of a challenge finding 'snap tape' that would work with the existing hardware on the boat. New parts offered and commonly available just aren't the right size.

So we made a road trip up to Midland Ontario and found a supplier called JT's Top Shop Inc. They were able to provide us with webbing, snaps and a tool to use that fit the existing hardware perfectly! Great service too. They also had a sample available of a material that is streachable and we can use to replace the damaged headliner in the aft area. Can't recommend this company more they were great to deal with and yes they can ship. 1-800-958-5856 and ask for Cheryl.
So we had the existing cushions recovered by a local vendor with material we sourced and provided. Now working on making replacement drapes (7 were missing on the boat).

Next challenge is to clean and wax the lower area of the boat before it gets put back in the water.

Can't wait for the season to get here. Looking forward to restoring this old gal and making her shine.

twobits

Seaman Apprentice

Wow....looking for the dimensions of the bow sun pad for this boat. Ours is missing so I want to make one for it but I need the dimensions to start. Would appreciate any information you can share about this.
Thanks!

MolsonCanadian

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'll get those dimensions for you. I didn't know you came to Midland to get your snap tape! If you ever need someone to do some legwork this way, let me know, I'd be glad to help.

Anyone know where/who I can get locking handles for the deck hatches on my 89 prestancia? I believe that they are called "dogs".. 5 of my 6 are broken...

twobits

Seaman Apprentice

Just wanted to let you know we located used hatch dogs @ the Kawartha Marine Recycling yard.

Now....progressing quite nicely with the restore of this great boat. Having a little trouble with sumps....1 for the shower we knew about, and another sump that was a complete surprise. Lots of areas that don't appear to drain to the bilge. Anyone else have this issue? I would love to find a drawing of the boat bottom to see what kind of plan they had with respect to this.

twobits

Seaman Apprentice

Wanted to give you all an update on how we are making out. We have done a lot of work bringing this boat back to near new condition with some very good upgrades that don't alter her too much. We changed the aluminum waste tank for a new plastic tank (that was fun...NOT); changed the battery charger for a very modern one; changed the broken vanity tap set for a replacement from the original manufacturer (believe it or not); replaced missing hatch hardware compliments of the local marine recycler; replaced missing lights compliments of yet another marine recycler; replaced gas sniffer with a new model; swapped out lights for LED versions for: courtesy; instrument panel; dash instruments; arch lights; etc. Still have some more to find and swap out. We have done some repairs to the engines....heads up to everyone else....check the hoses for the remote oil filters. If they haven't been replaced you might want to. Last but certainly not least...found some great products to clean the exterior hull including the non-slip areas. She is looking fantastic and we are loving it!

prestancia.jpg

twobits

Seaman Apprentice
Back in the water for another season. New underwater lights; new headliners; new chart plotter. She is looking fantastic and having the engines tuned up for our planned adventures this summer.

dssking

Recruit
Hey There! I just sold (traded) my 89 Prestancia for a 34 Motor Yacht (Silverton). I miss the express cruiser...... nevertheless, I saw in your original post
that you're looking for a mirror. I have the one that was mounted covering the gauges down below. I replaced it with a simple black board where I
mounted my 32 inch TV. Still need on?? I boat on Simcoe at Krate's. You?

Vijay

twobits

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the offer....we don't need any mirrors. We ended up covering up some of the damaged ones with fabric and whiteboard. Which is okay because I thought 9 mirrors in one small place was a little much. We are on Scugog.....

twobits

Seaman Apprentice
I thought it would be worthwhile to update you on how we are making up with our boat and the 'smell' issue. We replaced our leaking waste tank 2 seasons ago. This season, we had a leaking line which led to replacing the waste and water lines. Yes all 50' of them. But, even after cleaning the bilge we STILL had the odour. So thinking we had erased every single smoking gun with respect to smell....we got down to business and started searching a boat we thought we knew inside out. It turns out that there are 2 additional channels the feed into the engine hold. These channels originate in the waste tank area. We discovered, shoved way up one of the channels, an oil 'sock' that was extremely rank. Removed it. We even purchased a scope camera to make sure there were no more hidden surprises and FINALLY have a boat that no longer has that tell tale smell. Moral of the story....if it smells something is causing it. Keep looking until you find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.