1989 celebrity 19 SE......LOOKING AT BUYING

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello, I am looking at a 1989 celebrity 19 se with a 5.7 liter Mercruiser for 4 grand obo with a stainless prop . I live in Northern Canada and the boat is in Northern US. I am in the process of getting as much info from the owner and more pics. Anything I should look at or watch out for with these boats? How are they for power and top speed and overall weight? Just wondering, I am going to be in large and medium size lakes with it and want to make sure its what I am looking for. I am a mechanic by trade so I will be more picky then your average person. Just looking for info thanks guys

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1989 celebrity 19 SE......LOOKING AT BUYING

It is an OLD boat. Being a mechanic you be able to verify engine condition. Are you able to verify the condition of the floor, stringers, and transom? The weight stated when built could be a lot higher if wood and/or foam is waterlogged. I know prices are high in Canada but that sounds like a $1500 boat-- TOPS!

Last edited:

SWD

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have an 87' Celebrity 190 VB cuddy, The specs on the sales literature is around 2800# You seriously need to get a survey done or go down in person and check it out. I have a 305 and it will do around 45mph.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Yeah, that boat is 24 yrs. old. Lots of time for neglect to happen and rot to spread.

If this is a 1 owner boat and has always been kept trailered and garaged it might be worth the asking price, but those kind of boat and owners are rare.

A popular trick with boat sellers to unload an old rotten boat at a good price for them is to throw new plywood down on top of the old rotten decking and stringers, then install new carpet to make it look spiffy and they call it "restored" or with a "new floor". Check inside the ski locker and around the motor well for 2 layers of plywood decking, if there's 2 layers instead of only 1 you should leave right then.

Take the boat for a test drive out on the water, but before launching pull the bilge plug with the boat on the ramp and see if any water comes out (there shouldn't be any water in there). Stay out for as long as you can on the test drive and when you get back to the ramp and pull the boat out of the water pull the bilge plug again to check for water... there shouldn't be any then either.

Even with doing all this stuff, there's still a chance the boat could be a rotter... it's a big roll of the dice when buying a fiberglass boat that has that many years on it.

You should drop down to the restoration forum and read some of the restoration threads to give you a better idea of what to look for. You just can't be too careful when buying an old fiberglass boat and we see many people on this forum get burned doing it every year.

MountainManMyke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't really have more of a budget then 4500 for a boat, are there any good boat brands that are aluminum with inboards that are between 18-20 ft that I should keep an eye out for? thanks guys

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

I'm not sure what you will find in your price range but the best tin boat made is the Lund Baron. I had 3 Sylvan boats and they are great but nothing beats-- or comes close to the Baron.

I don't really have more of a budget then 4500 for a boat, are there any good boat brands that are aluminum with inboards that are between 18-20 ft that I should keep an eye out for? thanks guys