1989-90 bayliner 2159 hardtop.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
looking for ideas is it better to use paint or gel cote and if painting i don't want to do acrylic again i want gloss and durability. what types of paint should i look at that will make the boat look awesome and last forever?

I know it's a pain to work with, but it's tough to beat the look of Gel done right, imo.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yeah thats kinda what i am thinking and with the gel that shoots easily now adays it is pretty much a no brainer i guess , just more work but eh what else we got to do besides the honeydo's lol

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I did the gell thing on the manatee .. Ended up just so so .. You may have better luck with it than me . I just got really tired of sanding ..

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I did the gell thing on the manatee .. Ended up just so so .. You may have better luck with it than me . I just got really tired of sanding ..

was it the newer stuff that supposedly you can spray from a hlvp?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
tomorrow i start working on transom again... longest i have ever had a project sit untouched and its been gnawing on me but the cold weather won.... supposed to be a great weekend so hopefully some pics to come sunday :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Nope just reg gell thinned with styrene . Shot with hvlp ..

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
hmm, i just worry that paint will scratch too easily and be hard to repair if i dont use a product like rhino coat and wasnt looking to do rhino coat on this one :) i want it to look good , that said believe it or not the ole red boat does look nice even with acrylic paint and wax , but i think this boat i should do with a two part paint or gelcoat since it might be in the water more and i know it will have bottom paint as well.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Still liking my tractor paint. Pretty impressed with the stuff. But like you I'ma wondering abouts when the traffic hits it.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
got the first skin inside layed up this weekend still got more to go but sunday's rain impeded my flow! also found a non support bulkhead rotted so more fun and seems like all the wood upfront that's flat has dry rotted so .... ya i rechecked the main stringers and they are fine so at least it seems when they built it they kept all the components separated making it less damaging to main stringers .... if main stringers had to replaced i think i would definitely have to figure out how to decap... completely

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
still need to figure out best way of makng sure outer skin is trued , it had a slight dip in it i will need to level out .

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
HOZLVD9.jpg
figured out boat was sunk ... found this hole in the old housing when i was getting ready to toss it out .... i didn't notice any water lines in front of boat so not sure if it just popped and sat on ground in back or even just rotted sitting in storage, was so much oil and grease it was hard to tell what.... but stringers seem OK just flat wood and non support wood appear to be shot ... still trying to decide if i wanna cut losses and look for a different boat or trudge along , transom is just about complete so most likely if i can learn to shoot this gelcote i will be pleased :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
JrVFWAb.jpg
first attempt at spraying gel cote i think i can do it just needed more air pressure and boom! :0 i now need to figure out best product to remove wax from gel cote since i think this has wax in it:(

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
vy0qClg.jpg
i sprayed it because i figured this way i could see what i had to fix and what i was successful at fixing... since no primer can be used , kinda new to the whole fiberglass bodywork, using dura glass for fine fairing. few flaws and holes from the swim platform but i will get that squared away, feeling better about having to do this now that i have semi tackled it.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
At least you have the weather to move along. Looking good. Still got snow, ice and rain this morning here.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
well KC! ya Jinxed me , i cannot with good Conscience not decap this thing.... so it looks like im going to fully decap and since i am that far into it remove any signs of plywood and replace with non rotting materials. with the sinking thing i know deep inside those stringers have to be soggy someplace and it wont sit right with me not to .... pics to follow, i am thrilled i will master gel coating:) I might hate it down the road but at least ill know how to do it :)

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Hmmmmmmm.... best of all that is the BEST WAY to do it. No jinx Bubba Bear. Looking forward to the pain LOL!:D
There are a lot of great materials out there ya know. Have fun, looking forward to the resurrection.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
got up early this morning to set up second gantry and its raining ... fml!
nice part about this is after doing the first one and figuring out what works best and not , this should be a walk in the park :)
i also might flip it and take advantage of being able to sand bottom while its light weight, would be nice to get all the bottom paint off her.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Ya gonna pull the boat off the trailer.... having pic withdrawl ya see.