1989 3.0 low speed hesitation

tjb1231

Seaman Apprentice
I have an 89 3.0 Distributorless engine that recently began hesitation when trying to maintain rpm's around the 1500 mark. This went on for about 8 hours of boating and eventually started happening when cruising around 2800 rpm's as well, but the hesitation is not as bad. Starting and acceleration are fine. WOT seems to be fine.

The plugs and wires have less than 100 hours on them. I'm not even sure where to start looking for this issue.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1989 3.0 low speed hesitation

I have an 89 3.0 Distributorless engine that recently began hesitation when trying to maintain rpm's around the 1500 mark. This went on for about 8 hours of boating and eventually started happening when cruising around 2800 rpm's as well, but the hesitation is not as bad. Starting and acceleration are fine. WOT seems to be fine.

The plugs and wires have less than 100 hours on them. I'm not even sure where to start looking for this issue.

Ayuh,... I'd start with the contents of the fuel filters....

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me....

tjb1231

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. The only filter I found was the one on the fuel pump and this is what was inside when I opened it. What is that, and it is normal? I thought there would be a paper filter. I do not see any other filter. It's an 89 Chaparral 17' open bow and the fuel line goes through the hull.

IMAG0377.jpg

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... It's the ceramic 1,... There's another in the carb's inlet, at the fuel line....

Addin' a spin-on canister type ahead of the fuel pump, is a wise move,....
Then, No crud should ever get to that 1, nor the 1 in the carb....

Btw,... Use 2, Good fittin' wrenches when breakin' free the carb, 'n fuel line.... It's Easy to ruin....