1988 wellcraft bowrider to cuddy" conversion (Splashed)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
bearing moved freely when I installed the outdrive I was able to slide it in with little effort I could slide my tool with 3 fingers when checking for alignment so I figured I was good to go , I'm wondering if it isn't a defective bearing or something but ugh to take outdrive off a 3rd time is gonna be ugh ! I'm waiting for response from guy I bought it from hoping he honors and sends me another.

Pusher

Lieutenant
Oh I was thinking maybe it wasn't seated firmly on the shaft and was slipping a little while in gear but it sounds like you know what your doing in there.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
on another note missus gave me approval for my new gauges , tried to use old ones but they just aren't accurate anymore and the light inserts had ripped copper on a couple so :) between that and the new 100 amp alternator I should be set mechanically as long as this gimbal bearing thing is ok , I'm just hoping it is noisy because of being new but either way I have contacted the person I purchased from to see what if anything he has to offer .

Nothingman

Cadet
Our boat makes a whine when the out-drive is trimmed all the way up due to the angle on the u joints. Does it make the same noise in forward and reverse?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Havent got.in water to test, this just on muffs , i ordered another bearing, ill take no chances but ugh i hate doing **** twice, wierd part was bearings werent smooth when i spun them i could feel them but thought it was cause it was a dry bearing , but i am betting there is just a flaw somewhere in the ra e and i could feel bearing riding over it it might be minor but imma replace and see if noise goes away

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
got new gimbal bearing today learned something new as well about the bearing and race , feel sheepish now :)

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Lol back at you. Everyone knows that ??? right?? It's alot of learning curve it is. So whats race? See what I mean?

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Race is what a bearing usually rolls against in the case of a gimbal bearing its outer race swivels againts a outer piece but that name escapes me so i will call it a gimbal bearing to housing ring

Rick Stephens

Admiral
I believe the outer component is called a carrier. The race is what pivots inside the carrier and the bearing is the inside portion.

Patfromny

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Some times you have to take a breath, get your bearings, and get back in the race. :drum: <<<--Insert rim shot. Sorry, I couldn't resist :facepalm:

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
yes I was thinking carrier however I was also thinking the the carrier is actually the aluminum housing that it " the entire assembly installs into :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
thank you I'm still at it fixing and finishing things now that I know it floats and redoing some things :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Cripes another storm, gawd dang it! The gods are inhibiting my chances of a weekend splash at this point.....

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ok so new bearing in n fyi 35 pumps to get grease coming out of it good and proper! engine alignment was 2 fingers and a gentle shove , the outdrive went back in flawlessly slid right to bottom out I was stoked then onto shifting ....

new shift cable assembly from the shaft to the shift plate including new shift plate and I spent 12 h'rs trying to figure out why **** wasn't working as the manual says
finally zeroed in on the binnacle as I had less play in cables then max tolerance 1/4 on lower and 3/8 on upper, figured out the binnacle was wrong, fixed that played with cables another 3 hrs, then finally I was able to shift forward neutral and reverse by shifting all the way not just going to indents , so my question is when the boats in water will it shift at indents or do I will I have to slam it forward and throttle to get it to shift?
I wanna try it out on the water this weekend , fingers crossed but got lots to do before that!

Last edited:

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
u need to be able to select gear while still at idle rpm, quite dangerous to have more revs as it shifts (unless i missed the point of ur question). Is the shift plate exact dimensions as ur last 1?... and are u sure the shift cable is attached to shift and not throttle (just chuckin ideas out there from a few thousand miles away) good luck!