1988 Suzuki DT75 - clicking sound when prop spins in neutral

fastcat14

Cadet
hi everyone-

This is my first post in this section. Last weekend I bought a 15' Henry O Challenger with a 1988 Suzuki DT75 on it. I took it out on the water for the first time last night, and it ran great. I did notice one issue when I was running it on the muffs after I got back. There is a slight "clicking" sound from the lower end when I spin the prop in neutral. This only happens after I shift from forward into neutral. If I shift from reverse into neutral, then I can spin the prop and there is no sound. This makes me think there is some kind of slack or free-play in the shift mechanism somewhere that is preventing it from completely shifting into neutral from forward gear.

In the photo below the upper (of the 2 parallel control rods) is the carb and the bottom a shift linkage. This weekend I am going to try and find a service manual at Westmarine, but I wanted to see if anyone has experience adjusting the shift linkage and/or cables on this motor. Do you think this is something that can be corrected with a cable adjustment, or does it have to do with the control rod? The motor performed great, and I was able to shift smoothly into forward and reverse on the water. The clicking sound is slight, but I want to make sure everything is right before taking the boat out again. I don't know if shift cables are adjusted at the controls end, or the motor end. The only other experience I have with outboards has been with a couple small ones that had a forward only gearbox, no neutral.

Thanks!
-Ron-

neutral-FWD.jpg

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Suzuki DT75 - clicking sound when prop spins in neutral

ok there is adjustment on both those rods the nut holds rods tight the black ends spin on the rods. first disconnect both rods and move shift arm to neutral by hand at engine does click noise go away? if so cable needs adjustment. if not play with shift rod and see if noise goes away. if noise goes away now you shift rod needs adjustment. i believe you have to drop lower unit to do this which means someone replaced water pump or something in lower unit and messed with the rod adjustment. let us know if either hel[ps with ticking, which by the way is clutch dog hitting either forward or reverse.

fastcat14

Cadet

Thanks for the info, it sounds like the shift cable needs adjusting. Im hoping to have a Seloc manual for my motor this weekend, and will see if I can get it adjusted properly.

fastcat14

Cadet

Well, after looking up some info and checking my serial number, it turns out the motor is a 1995 and not a 1988! No one had the Seloc manual in stock, but I found a Suzuki service manual on ebay and ordered that. Once I get it I will go through the process of setting the linkages and cables for the shift system to factory specs. I've also noticed that the motor doesnt like to run at low RPMs when in gear, in the water. I have a feeling it sat for a little while and the carbs might have some gunk in them. Wide open it runs GREAT. Again, once I have the service manual, I can go through and check the carb settings, and even remove/clean/replace them. I'll post my results on the shifting issue when I get the manual and complete the work.
-Ron-