1988 Sea Ray seville 20' CC interior needed

sub_squoch

Cadet
back seats.jpg

The pic is of the current back seat configuration in my 1988 Sea ray Seville 20' CC that was just purchased this spring. The exterior is in awesome shape and the interior is OK but could use a little work. I would prefer an open bow so I am thinking about selling this boat late this summer or early next. I would like to do a little work to the interior to clean it up. I believe the motor cover isn't the original and I know the two rear seats are not original. I have searched and searched the net but I cannot find these parts. Does anybody happen to have some?!?! The color scheme is blue and white. Or would it be better to get something as close to original as I can find? I would prefer to keep it original (looking) if possible and I don't want to decrease the value

Thanks!

Struc

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Sea Ray seville 20' CC interior needed

That picture is too dark to really see too much, but it looks like the seat boxes are not there anymore. The original config would have been seat boxes glassed into the deck. They are a pain in the butt, so you probably don't want them anyway. I'm looking at tearing mine out and replacing them with something that is removable.

That engine cover actually looks pretty original, minus the vinyl on it. The angled corners and wood where the old seat would rest and make a spot to lay across the engine cover give it away.

Here are some pictures of my boat (taken prior to me buying it), and the original look. Notice the back seats are actually 2 piece. The small rear portion (about 6" wide), which is stationary, and then the main part of the seat which is removable, or movable to a high position to make a deck to lay on.

It's doubtful you will find anyone selling this type of stuff. It would be best to make it. Check out the restoration forum area of this board, and there are TONS of threads that would help educate you on how to put this together yourself. As I mentioned, I plan on removing those seat boxes and making some that are removable, but fit the same way in the boat. The seats themselves are just plywood with foam and marine vinyl - not too hard to make, and there are lots of tutorials on how to do harder tasks.

Attachments

• searay11.jpg
    searay11.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 1
  • searay12.jpg
    searay12.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 1

sub_squoch

Cadet

Thanks for the response. I did some digging last night and I think I have a better idea as to what I am dealing with. The motor cover does seem to be the original with different vinyl like you said. The seat boxes are original also but the seats are not. They are just cheap foldable seats screwed to a piece of plywood. I would like to get this back area back to original as the rest of the boat is original and in pretty good shape. Do you have any ideas as to where I can get these seats? If you are replacing yours would you be willing to see them to me?

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

I'm not replacing my seats. In fact, I just got done rebuilding them. Tore them down and replaced the plywood that was in them. I also did that back platform / head rest too, as well as the small 6" portion of the seats.

Honestly, I would suggest just making new seats. Plywood, foam, marine vinyl, and a staple gun is all you really need. Ok, maybe I'm oversimplfying it a little, but not much.

sub_squoch

Cadet

That is probably what I will do since I cannot find the seats anywhere. So you have pictures of your seats after you rebuilt them? What type of plywood did you use?

Struc

Chief Petty Officer

I rebuilt them exactly the same - used the same vinyl and foam. I just replaced the wood - it was getting dryrotted and weak. On the deck / backrest area, it was actually turning to mulch / dust in some areas.

I used exterior grade BCX plywood from Menards. Talked about it and posted some links in this thread:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=559305&highlight=marine+plywood

I coated the wood with Epoxy after cutting it to size. Took all the staples out of the old seat, pulled out the old wood, and put the new wood in. I encased the foam in a garbage bag. From the factory they glue it to the wood. I had to pull that apart. Just used a hax saw blade and ran it between the foam and wood. Stapled it all back together as it was before.