1988 Sea Ray 454 stalling at 2000 rpm

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer
I purchased a 1988 sea ray 230 weekender that sat for roughly 2 years. It is equipped with a 7.4L Mercruiser and alpha one ourdrive. (Bad engine for this boat bc of the strain it puts on outdrive-i know). Before it was parked the carb was rebuilt and I have the documentation for that. (Unforseen circumstances with the previous owner caused it to sit for the 2 year period.) it has a 70 gallon gas tank which had about 10-20 gallons of gas which he said he treated with fuel stabilizer and I proceeded to fill it up with premium fuel and additional fuel treatment. Boat starts and idles great, but at 2000-2500 rpm range it will idle way down and if you don't pull the throttle back it will stall completely and sometimes back fire. I have replaced the fuel filter, looked at the inlet valve at the fuel tank, and replaced the distributor cap and rotor button. Still doing it. I've head it's the carb and I've heard it's the fuel pump. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: 1988 Sea Ray 454 stalling at 2000 rpm

First place I would start is with a full tune. Compressions, spark plugs. If all that is good and the problem still there, get a timing light on the engine and watch the flashing as the engine dies. This will tell you if it's spark or fuel...

Personally, I'm thinking fuel (clogged mains in the carb), but you need to do the proper checks first. No good chasing a fuel problem when in fact, it the ignition system causing it....

Chris.....

Bondo

Staff member

I purchased a 1988 sea ray 230 weekender that sat for roughly 2 years. It is equipped with a 7.4L Mercruiser and alpha one ourdrive. (Bad engine for this boat bc of the strain it puts on outdrive-i know). Before it was parked the carb was rebuilt and I have the documentation for that. (Unforseen circumstances with the previous owner caused it to sit for the 2 year period.) it has a 70 gallon gas tank which had about 10-20 gallons of gas which he said he treated with fuel stabilizer and I proceeded to fill it up with premium fuel and additional fuel treatment. Boat starts and idles great, but at 2000-2500 rpm range it will idle way down and if you don't pull the throttle back it will stall completely and sometimes back fire. I have replaced the fuel filter, looked at the inlet valve at the fuel tank, and replaced the distributor cap and rotor button. Still doing it. I've head it's the carb and I've heard it's the fuel pump. Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!

Ayuh,... The carb was rebuilt, 'n then sat for 2 years with fuel in it,...

That makes that rebuild null, 'n void,...

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I've been informed that there is an in-line type fuel filter in the carb in the line coming from the fuel pump. Is this correct? Is there anything from where the fuel enters the carb, back, that would be easy to investigate?
Thanks for the input!

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Yes there is. You should also have a filter in the fuel pump... As Bond-o said, 2 years with fuel sitting in the carb... Pull it apart and clean it... The fuel would have evaporated and left sticky gummy vanish deposits. They are most likely your problem.

Chris...