1988 Merc 35HP Outboard starting troubleshooting

sluffmeister

Recruit
I have a 35 HP Mercury outboard serial number OB356820 that has intermittent starting issues. Most times when I turn over the key the motor starts fine. However, 20% of the time it doesn't turn over at all. t'm looking for the next steps in troubleshooting to determine the defective part. Here's what I've done so far. I installed a brand new battery, I replaced the starter with a used starter. When the motor won't turn over, I can get it to crank over just fine by using jumper cables from the positive terminal on the battery to the starter side of the solenoid. I didn't have a screwdriver handy, but when it wouldn't turnover I tried using the jumper cables on each terminal of the solenoid to bypass it, and it didn't crank when we turned the key. Could this be a solenoid issue? Key switch? What other tests should I try to narrow this down? Thanks for any suggestions.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Try gently tapping the solenoid. Might be getting sticky with age. Make sure all battery cable connections are clean and tight.