1988 Maxum 2000SR Partial Deck replacement.

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer
So bought a 1988 Maxum 2000SR and it had the back half of the deck replaced previously. Badly. So of course what started as a see what it looks like ended up being tearing it back up of course. The stringers were actually fairly solid. I know there is some rot around the drain hole in the transom but I'm going to wait until next winter to tackle that since I want to actually get on the water this year and don't feel up for pulling the motor right now.

Figure on 1/2 inch epoxy encapsulated decking.

My plan is to put a small triangular piece of ply where the old foam and decking stops to sort of seal in this back part.Then lay the decking without foam so I can cut some holes later and see if it is collecting water. If not I can then pour foam knowing it is dry.

Plan to put truck liner in the ski compartment, dumb place for carpet (although I know the general opinion on carpet. I wouldn't mind doing a non-skid and then some snap-in carpet but I am not sure if the deck can be made pretty enough for it. Well it could, but not sure if I have the time.

Anyway a few pics. The first pic you can see the replacement decking they put down. They didn't do anything to tie it into the old deck except some polyester which didn't even fill the gap, you can see holes where the cut was. I will be sanding down a 45 angle and using thickened epoxy to connect the two.

IMGP0430.JPG

IMGP0434.JPG

Here is where I will put a piece to separate the two sections. The foam was mostly dry the last foot or two before this.

IMGP0437.JPG

So anyway there you go. Yet another project. I know I should go through and tear it all out but for the most part it's pretty solid.

Last edited:

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Maxum 2000SR Partial Deck replacement.

So I got it all back out and the deck replaced and glassed. You can see a couple stubs I epoxied on to hold the trim pump, will probably do something similar for the battery. Can't quite bring myself to put lag bolts straight into the floor, 5200 or no. Also had to chop up the seat boxes in the box and the driver's side since it was rotted. I'm putting a pedestal for the driver's, sorry captain's, seat.

IMGP0514.JPG

Boxes built.

IMGP0518.JPG

Working on rebuilding the dog house now, trying to make more work for myself you know?

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Working on seat cushions now as well as finishing the dog house. I cut the dog house back as far as I could to gain some floor space and cut the corners at 45 degree angles. The side seats always felt like they were tucked a little too far back for my tastes.

IMGP1020.JPG

You can see the captains pedestal I put in. The chair is obviously a rigged up one of the old lounge chairs, I'll be building a new one at some point soon.

IMGP1021.JPG

Here's a little work on the cushions. Not perfect but good enough for now. The wrinkles have actually settled a good bit after a little use.

Before
IMGP0497.JPG

After
IMGP0976.JPG

But most importantly, it is running like a top. Rebuilt the carb, changed fluids and water pump. Temp gauge doesn't budge from 140 degrees and it has run excellent the last three outings. This is why we do all this work, right? Except for the fact that we are all obviously a little nuts...

image32.jpg

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can see the captains pedestal I put in. The chair is obviously a rigged up one of the old lounge chairs, I'll be building a new one at some point soon.

IMGP1021.JPG

Nice work!..I too, was trying to avoid as many bolts into my deck as I could. I think the wood pedestal for the captains chair is a great way to build a very solid base.
newcarpet2.jpg

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks. Pretty sure I stole that idea from your thread!

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Just wanted to update with some new pictures. I have redone the back piece, finished the carpet and done various engine work. It's running well now, and starting to get there as far as the interior vinyl replacement. Working on the front now. For the back the plan is to replace the port back to back seats with an L shaped couch but since that involves redesigning things, that will be the last bit.

Here you can see the back piece, the side seats and the engine cover I built. Along with my friend's craigcat and the first mate. Kind of proud of how the back piece turned out.

IMGP1496.JPG

And here is the current work on the front bow seat sides.

photo.JPG

tschmidty

Chief Petty Officer

Got the filler cushion for the bow done as well as all the vinyl up front.

photo%201.JPG

photo%202.JPG

Made a captains chair out of scrap plywood and fiberglass, which I am not altogether happy about (The back of the left armrest and I should have sewn the top seam but got lazy/pissed at it), but it will do until I get some money together to get a new one.

You can also see the starboard side panel which I am actually pretty happy about. It now has two (!) cupholders instead of one, much better! Got rid of the armrest since the back to back seats are gone. Plus since I had to rebuild the plywood underneath, the shifter actually stays put and you can use the sunpad slot for the rear seat cushion to make a full length sunpad.

photo%203.JPG

jbowling

Cadet

Looks nice man... I really love the colors being a Bama fan myself. ROLL TIDE. Thanks for the tips and FYI I am passing on the Maxum. Just found a very solid, water ready, chaparral 20' V8 Bowrider. Moving on that this weekend.