1988 johnson 110 hp idle problem

KMDisland

Seaman Apprentice
When I start my motor the idle will be high. I adjusted the idle cable at the engine so the stop bolt is bottomed on the cam. If I rev the throttle or put in gear and go fast when I go back to neutral it will be idiling high again. If I pull off the engine cover and push the cam back down it will sometimes stay in the stop position and aidle fine, other times it will not stay in the slow idle but close and only idle a little high. Is there adjustments on the throttle control side that will fix this? I know the set screw for the idle has never been touched on the motor.

Second queston how do I remove the shifter handle on the control? Its very loose and needs to be tighned up.

Any hints would be helpful.

Thanks

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 johnson 110 hp idle problem

Set the idle speed when the boat is floating normally in the water. (prop fully submerged) Put the shifter in forward gear. The rpm's should be set between 650 and 700. I'd tend to set the idle when the throttle cable is disconnected to insure it is not binding. Once the idle is set, reconnect the throttle cable at the engine end. You may need to turn the thumbwheel slightly in order to get the cable end to line up with the spark lever stud when your adjustment is complete.