1988 force 85HP running issue

cjac2879

Seaman
I bought a 1988 Bayline Capri last week. Brought it to the lake today.. Put it in the lake, and had trouble starting it.. May have flooded it while trying... After a while trying to get it started, it finally kicked over, but would stall frequently.. After 10 minutes, finally got it to idle by itself.. Put it in reverse, stalled... started right back up... reverse... stalled.. did this 3 times before I got it to stay running.. put it in forward, and crept away at no-wake speed... Pushed throttle forward for more speed, and it stalled.. Started 3 times after that, but stalled as soon as I gave throttle, then wont even turn over now... Had to be towed back to dock... Any ideas??

Lil history on motor.... Previous owner used it numerous times last year with no issues. Had it winterized over the winter.. Had it summerized this year, but never went into water.. Did run it to burn off the winterization, said there was no issues, excpet she had to have the starter replaced, which she did the week before we bought it.

Any help is appreciated

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 force 85HP running issue

I actually was victimized one time by buying a boat without taking it to water first. A 1988 Blue Water with 4.3 had nothing but troubles with it until I sold it. I had this same problem with this boat. I don?t know if your boat has this but on the shift cable I had a momentary kill switch that allowed my motor to shift without tearing up the outdrive. This unit was not adjusted correctly. Once I readjusted it the motor did not die when shifting into gear.

john from md

Commander

Do you have an inboard tank or external? If you have an inboard tank, buy a six gallon external and fittings and hook it up and see what happens. Also, pull the fuel screen off (black thing on right side of engine) and see if any junk is in it. When did it have a new set of plugs?

John

cjac2879

Seaman

Do you have an inboard tank or external? If you have an inboard tank, buy a six gallon external and fittings and hook it up and see what happens. Also, pull the fuel screen off (black thing on right side of engine) and see if any junk is in it. When did it have a new set of plugs?

John

It is an internal tank. I was going to pull off the fuel screen, but it decided to start pouring out as soon as I headed out.

I dont know about the plugs.. It was scheduled to be tuned up this spring, but with the weather we had, the previous owner never had time. I havnt pulled the plugs YET, do plan on it, but from the outside they look newer.

We got an email from the previous owner who said she only put 3 gallons of gas in when they summerized it, and they burned off the winterization. The gauge says 1/2 tank, but obviouslly it was wrong, and I may have run it out of fuel.. Although they bulb did pump thr gas, and did get hard, but that was before it died for the last time and would not restart.

john from md

Commander

You may also have been pumping water. When a tank is partially empty, moisture condenses in the tank. That is compounded by the problem that we have with gasahol which leads to garbage in the tank. I would not run yours again without a water separating filter installed in the main fuel line. That way the garbage doesn't get to your fuel pump and carbs.

John

gatormeat

Cadet

I had that just happen to me a few weeks ago after i rebuilt the carbs. Ended up being a ground wire fell off the terminal block going to one cd units that controlled two of the coils. check very close that all the terminals are clean and have a good connection.

cjac2879

Seaman

Ok so today I went out, and put in 5 gallons of new fuel, added an additive to remove water. The engine now starts up beautifully, but it has trouble running...

Once the engine is warm, it sputters, and jumps... If I give it full throttle, and then back it down, it gets worse then stalls.. We ran it for about 30 minutes with the ear muffs on,hopefully burning off the old fuel and it did improve to the point where it wouldnt stall, but it still sputters and sounds like maybe backfiring.

We took out all 3 sparkplugs, and they looked clean, except for one )the top one) seemed a little dirty.

P1040445.jpg

Here are some vids that give you some idea of whats its doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAkbms19QkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajw8Kg14dWI

foodfisher

Captain

The plug looks too clean. Maybe running lean. What I'd do from the video is clean the fuel recirc. system that John keeps suggesting.

cjac2879

Seaman

What is the fuel recir system you are referring to??

Would a dirty filter cause the issues it is showing in the video??
Would water in the gas cause the issue in the video??

Anybody know where I can find a fuel filter for this engine.. I am having troubles finding one online

foodfisher

Captain

The thread started by Mike23 (Aug 4)will get you started. Auto parts store for inline fuel filters. Get a clear one. Haven't done a water seperating filter yet, but it's coming.

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

sounds like its not running on all cyls. [ possible 2?] Might want to check fire to all three plugs. Ground out the shell of the plugs ,and with the plug wires attached have some one spin it over to check spark. Make sure all of them are bright blue in color. Keep us posted. MOPARMAN

john from md

Commander

The engine is running lean. If you have a problem with the recirc system, the engine will run rich. In this case, I would look to dirty carbs, incorrect fuel float height, mixture screws in too far, blocked fuel screen or vent in fuel tank.

John

sho3boater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You can get a spark checker from autozone/etc for $5, I use one all the time. Most boat motors will jump 3/8" or more. Got spark then I'd clean carbs and check the fuel supply to them as suggested in other posts. It is certainly running on 1/2 cylinders. You could squirt some gas in carbs and see if it fires more, that might tell you fast if the carbs have issues and not spark.

Jeremy90bay

Petty Officer 1st Class

Just wanted to throw this out there. you are mixing the gas 50:1 right? the plugs look to clean.

cjac2879

Seaman

Just wanted to throw this out there. you are mixing the gas 50:1 right? the plugs look to clean.

Yes I am mixing 50:1 gas.. 2 of the plugs looked just like that, and the top one was a little dirtier than that.

I will hopefully check for spark tomorrow morning.. I will let you all know what i find out

cjac2879

Seaman

The engine is running lean. If you have a problem with the recirc system, the engine will run rich. In this case, I would look to dirty carbs, incorrect fuel float height, mixture screws in too far, blocked fuel screen or vent in fuel tank.

John

Other than checking the fuel screen or vent.. the others sound a little out of my expertise.. Maybe if get spark on all my plugs, I will bring it to get looked at by a professional.. I am a hands on person, can do most things, but I am a total noob when it comes to outboard motors..

I REALLY REALLY appreciate all this input, and I will keep you updated when I do more.. ANd I will probablyl be asking more ????? when I go further

cjac2879

Seaman

Ok so today I went out and checked the spark.. I removed the top plug, and the engine would not turn over... replaced the top plug... pulled the middle plug... Engine fired up, and I had spark on the plug..... Replaced middle plug... Pulled bottom plug, engine fired up, but had no spark on the plug... I replaced that plug.... Looking at the wires, I followed the bottom wire back to the blue box.. then followed the wires from there back to the "bus bar" where all the wires were under screws... A wire labled "3" was under a broken screw and not connected.. SO I replaced that screw, screwed down the wire, and she runs MUCH better... Although when dropping her from a high idle to a low idle, she sputters once, but that is it.. I am thinking she may need new plugs still after flooding her and abusing it like we have trying to get her running..

Any thoughts on this development?

When I get new plugs, do the plugs on this motor need to be gapped... They are the flush type plugs with no prong on them?

Thanks again for any infpo

moparman

Petty Officer 1st Class

good chance that plugs will clear up your sputter, as these surface gap plugs do tend to foul easily, and no gapping required on the correct style plugs as your picture showed. MOPARMAN

john from md

Commander

Now that you have it running, you need to do a decarb. Look in the FAQ at the beginning of the maintenance forums for the procedure. After doing a decarb, you need to adjust your carb mixtures. They should be adjusted while the boat is tied to the dock, engine in gear and RPM between 700-750. Too high an idle is not good as you will not be able to adjust the mixture properly.

John