1988 Force 85 HP won't start

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all. First time boat owner here and I've been nothing but impressed by the knowledge I've seen on these forums after reading up over the last few days. I wanted to make sure I at least had some knowledge of boats and what certain parts are called before I came on here an made myself look like a complete dolt. This will be a long post, so thanks for taking the time to go through the whole thing and addressing any questions. ;) <br /><br />First off, the problem that I'm having. I recently purchased a 1988 Bayliner Capri 1700 with a 88 Force 85 HP outboard. Standard equipment on it. It had been sitting for at least one season because the tags on it hadn't been renewed since 2002. The engine itself is immaculate. It is clean as can be, no corrosion on any wires or parts. I simply cannot get the thing started. All it will do is somewhat act like it wants to start by using the primer bulb while someone else turns it over, but it soon floods out after a bit. Occassionally, I will get a bit of a backfire as well.<br /><br />The story of what I've done so far. Went out and bought a new battery. The tank had been sitting on empty, so I added 6 1/4 gallons of gas and one pint of outboard oil for the specified 50:1 ratio. Newbie mistake (I'm assuming here) because I added the gas first, then the oil, so I'm sure it didn't mix. The Bayliner does not have a portable tank, it is at the transom. I have since drove the boat on the trailer a bit, so I'm sure it's probably mixed itself by now.<br /><br />The primer bulb gets hard after several squeezes, but isn't quite filled after trying to start the engine. The primer bulb is in new condition. All the gas lines look good as well. Checked the plugs and they were black and a bit wet after flooding the engine out. Changed those out to new Champion center fire plugs. The plugs do seem to be getting good fire.<br /><br />Pulled the gas filter and gas is coming through fine with no sediment. Pulled the fuel pump (I think) and the diaphram is a bit warped, so I'm going to need a rebuild kit for it. Not so much so though that it would keep the engine from starting completely though, right? I don't know.<br /><br />Pulled the carbs and they and bulbs underneath got a good going over with some carb cleaner. Float needles don't appear to be sticking. Choke is closing completely as well. Blew everything out with an air hose as well to make sure there were no clogs.<br /><br />Checked all wiring on the engine itself and I *think* everything is good on it. Like I said, the Force looks brand new inside and out. No corrosion what-so-ever, but I did put a little dialectic grease on the contact points I pulled as well as the plugs. There is one thing that is questionable though. There is an extra red wire with a black casing around it (with a female connector from what I remember off the top of my head) that is not plugged into anything. I'm not sure if this is normal or not, whether it be a test line for a diagnostics machine or whatever. Whatever it is, there isn't anything to attach it to that is left undone.<br /><br />Anyway, I've been reading all the way back to page 30 on this board regarding these engines and from what I've seen, the only things I can think of that would be a problem on the engine would be one of a few things.<br /><br />1. The slightly warped diapram on the fuel pump.<br /><br />2. Timing could possible be off? From what I've read here it should be between 28-32 degrees. I have no idea if this is the case because I don't have a timing light and honestly, I'm nor certain how to check or set the timing on these motors.<br /><br />3. Low compression dure to a badly carbed engine. I've read on here how to do the decarb process, but if the engine isn't starting, I don't know I would decarb it since it is supposed to run for "x" amount of time to flush it out.<br /><br />Anyway, I'm going to buy the fuel pump rebuild kit and a new impeller as well just to be safe. I've been trying to get ahold of a local boat shop to get them to check the timing and compression.<br /><br />Is there anything else I'm missing here or do I pretty much have everything covered as far as what could be wrong with it not starting.

shildreth

Cadet
Re: 1988 Force 85 HP won't start

Are you pushing the key in when you turn it to start, to choke it?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to the Engine FAQs section and troubleshoot as suggested in the "Outboard wont start" article.<br /><br />Please be concise when you let us know what you found. Your post is well written, but much too much.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by Scott Hildreth:<br />Are you pushing the key in when you turn it to start, to choke it?
Of course. :) Not that much of a newbie. Also tested to make sure that the choke was closing completely.<br /><br />
Go to the Engine FAQs section and troubleshoot as suggested in the "Outboard wont start" article.
Did so, along with reading up on much of the other encounters of engine problems on this model. I've done all the testing that my skills and tools will allow. Unfortunately, I have had to defer this problem to a mechanic here in my area. I will update the post once I have some answers. <br /><br />My main thing in posting was to see if there might be something simple I was missing or if anyone else had any suggestions on other steps to take.

baboon bum

Seaman Apprentice

i got a force 70hp and every time i went to out on it it wouldnt start,but now a prime the petrol up till the bulb is hard and now ,press the centre part of the accelerater handle in and put down half way next push the key in to activate the choke and start

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

You should start with rebuild of carbs and fuel pump. Cost 15 per carb and 9 for fuel pump. Before you do this take cowling off and pump primer bulb as tight as you can get it. Do you see any leaking around the carb? Carbs can look clean when you take them apart and still be gummed up. Also your mixture adjustment screw. Where is this adjusted at. Turn clockwise and count turns until it lightly seats. Should be around 1 1/2 turns. Do you have a manual yet? If you do find out what spark plugs you are suppose to be firing on that motor and verify that is what you have. Impeller is a good idea. If you have been cranking this motor out of water your impeller is probably fried. Dosent take many turns to wear the impeller out without water as lubrication

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do have a motor flush (earmuff looking thing) to avoid the dry starts. I'm mainly replacing the impellor due to it sitting for a couple of years and not wanting to get stranded out somewhere due to it being rotted out or in bad condition.<br /><br />The boat is at the shop now, but from what I remember, it was at or around the 10/4 position on each. Rebuild of the carbs and fuel pump is easy enough, but I'm having the shop give it a complete going over to make sure that I don't miss anything. I have a Seloc manual for the Force, but haven't been too impressed with it. <br /><br />When I was doing this, I didn't realize that you could pull the handle towards the center of the boat and adjust the neutral throttle. Something to remember in the future.<br /><br />Thanks for the additional suggestions and I'll let you all know how it goes. :)

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just an update. It's not running quite yet, but supposedly we're close according to the shop.<br /><br />The floats in the carb were way off according to the mechanic. Not sure where they were, but the specs say 13/32" carb body to float top. Additionally the timing was good.<br /><br />They said the compression is good, but from what I've seen on these forums, I'm not certain that is the case. He said 150 on the top cylinder and 120 on the lower two. From what I understand here, they should be within 10%, correct? I suggested decarbing the engine and he said that would most likely get the compression closer (once he has the engine started).<br /><br />Finally, what he thinks is the main problem... Bad gas. :rolleyes: Why I didn't think of it myself and just attach to a portable tank, I'll never know. I just overlooked it. However, he hasn't hooked it up to a portable either yet, so we don't know for sure. Should know more today or tomorrow.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Final update on this thread for those in future reference.<br /><br />Got the Force 85 back and it is running like brand new. The gas definitely was bad, but there were other issues.<br /><br />First, the carbs had to be taken apart and cleaned out. Someone had used red gasket sealant on it which was broken down by the gas. Particles of the sealant has come out and got sucked into the carbs and going into the engine. The adjustments were also way off as well.<br /><br />The water pump was completely shot. It was replaced.<br /><br />Gas was drained and refilled.<br /><br />That's it. Taking it out on the water this weekend. :D

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Glad to hear they got it running. Just for future refference with a manual you could have done this stuff for under 100 dollars. Dont know how much you spent but it had to be more then that. Might want to decarb motor this season. Sea Foam Deep Creep is about 4 bucks a can and is sold in most auto parts strores.

LubeDude

Admiral

May have cost you some, but look at the education you got. Now lets not let that happen again. We all started somewhere, now where was that, lawnmower, Dad used to get mad at me for tearing it apart all the time, Scooter, had it apart most of the time too, Fiat, It was apart more than I drove it, Corvair, yep, it came apart also, Baracuda, not so much, bent some pushrods though, Corvette, It spent its time in the shop, and on and on.

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by eurolarva:<br /> Glad to hear they got it running. Just for future refference with a manual you could have done this stuff for under 100 dollars. Dont know how much you spent but it had to be more then that. Might want to decarb motor this season. Sea Foam Deep Creep is about 4 bucks a can and is sold in most auto parts strores.
I do have the Seloc manual for the Force. I picked that one when I ordered online because I've always been happy with Chilton car manuals (which I heard also do the Selocs), however when I got it, it didn't go into nearly the kind of detail that I would expect for this motor. Not enough pictures or specifics on what exactly they are referring to in their instructions and the information was not really well organized.<br /><br />This set me back around $241 and two weeks of not being able to take the boat out, but like you and LubeDude said, this can be done definitely by myself in the future. It really is a simple as can be engine, so the more familiar I get with it, the more I'll feel comfortable tinkering around with it. However, with this being the first boat I had and no good guides ( outside this forum and it's wealth of information :) ) I just didn't feel I was ready for the task.<br /><br />I definitely will be next time though. Thanks again to all for such a rich resource. :)