1988 Force 85 hp Lower Unit sea REPLACEMENT

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it a big deal to buy a seal kit for the lower unit and replace it? the local marina has a kit for 65 bucks and i am considering doing it my self. Do i need any special tools?

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Force 85 hp Lower Unit sea REPLACEMENT

anyone buddy??????

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Not that difficult if you are mechanically inclined and once you've done one. Sometimes the propeller shaft bearing spool assy. gets corroded in place. It has pretty close tolerances so it has to be pulled out perfectly straight if it's stuck. Difficult to do without a special puller. Not impossible but may take some patience and a little heat. The other thing that I found kind of hard was the pivot for the gear shift mechanism on the end of the propeller shaft inside the gear case. Finally had to use some grease to hold it in place as it kept moving on me. Also the top plate where the water pump is mounted is fragile. Don't pry on the ends to get it off. It's pretty thin in this area. Pry in the center where the pump is mounted. A lot thicker here so not as likely to break.

foodfisher

Captain

Best tool you can buy is an OEM manual. Then it's all easy. Within limits of course.

mainejohn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I do have a manual, but it doesn't seem to user friendly.