1988 85hp Stall question

cjac2879

Seaman
So I spent $500 to have my carbs cleaned, tank drained and new fuel added, and some lines replaced... The fuel pump was replaced also.

Took it to the lake, and she ran great.... Then the second time we took it to the lake we ran for well over an hr, and it ran great... we went back to the dock, sat for 20 minutes or so, then started right back up, put it in reverse and she stalled, started right back up, put it in forward, stalled... started back up, but it in forward with lots of rpms, and it went fine.. took out for another 30 min or so, back to the dock, put it in reverse and stalled..

Could I just be doing something wrong when I shift? It doesnt seem or feel like a fuel issue... When I engage the gear, I typically do it slowly, I read somewhere that it should be done faster and given more throttle, then backed back down...

Any suggestions are welcome

Thanks

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1988 85hp Stall question

When shifting into gear don't go slow.Put it in but don't go into the throttle .
Slowly will possibly grind the gears.
What rpm does it run in gear? Should be about 750-800.
Remove the prop and check for fishing line.That can actually stall a motor.It can also ruin the seals.
Have you checked the oil?Change it and check for metal.Make sure you don't remove the shift pin.J

USMCMatt

Seaman Apprentice

put it in reverse and she stalled, started right back up, put it in forward, stalled... started back up, but it in forward with lots of rpms, and it went fine..

Story of my life with my engine, I just put up with it, no maint I've ever done seems to fix the issue

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Like Jerry said, check to be certain the idle speed IN GEAR inthe water is 700-750. Pull the plugs and clean them--if you did a lot of slow running, they may have fouled. After sitting, especially after running, the carbs will have boiled off gasoline. Re start the engine in fast idle position and let it stabilize for a bit before going back down into neutral and then into gear.

Gears do not have a clutch but do have drive dogs. Do not try to "ease" them into gear as this will wear the dogs. The handle should be moved quickly about 1/3 of its travel to engage gears.

cjac2879

Seaman

ok thanks guys.. as usual great answers..

What do you mean by "boiled off the gasoline"??

SOudns like it might be the plugs, as we did do alot of slow boating that day.. I dont know the rpms since I dont have a tach, but will be looking to add one hopefully soon

Thanks again guys