1988 60hp will not go into gear

Yooper77

Cadet
I just bought a boat with an 88ish 60hp Evinrude. The boat ran and shifted OK. I took it out of the water, and was going to work on it's rough idle. Put the muffs on it and it started went into forward, but wouldn't shift into N or R. The linkage moves on the motor, but it stays in gear. I loosened the screws on the control box, because I was going to take them off, but then decided not to and re-tightened them. for some reason, I turned that knob right below the the ignition key, next ting you know it is N, but will not go into F or R. The throttle wants to pop up when I shift it back and forth. Is that black knob the culprit, played with it, but still will not go into gear. FML

fishfeatures

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 60hp will not go into gear

disconnect the cables at the motor and if you still can't shift forward or reverse then the issue lies in the control box. if it does shift then we'll look further into it..

Yooper77

Cadet
Re: 1988 60hp will not go into gear

For some reason, my response to this post doesn't appear. The LEVER shift rod had been connected to the shift lever at the wrong point. The previous owner had taken the engine apart certain things were not put together right. When the shift lever was pushed in (to the correct position), it would release the rod running down to the gear case. Since getting to the bolt on the LEVER shift rod would involve taking off way too much stuff, I simply made a spacer to keep the shift lever to the right and therefore locking the pin and rod together. The yoke is pried slightly outward, but it will work.

http://www.**********/parts/search/BRP/EVINRUDE/1987/E60ELCUC/CYLINDER & CRANKCASE/parts.html#