1988 15hp

phatmanmike

Captain
its actually a 14hp. 1988 . motor wont pee.

if i remove the thermostat and leave the thermo cover off, water pumps outa the thermo housing. water also comes outa the exhaust ports too( i run it in a bucket, not on muffs) so i know its "pumping" water.

with the thermostat in, i get a lite dribble outa the pee tube, and i get a normal looking amount from the exhaust ports.

with the thermostat removed and the cover put back on, i get an over abundance of water from the exhaust relief ports. LOTS of water, a very strong spray at idle.

any ideas? does this mean h20 pump is dead or thermo needs replaced. i tried running wire in the pee tube, no change.

could it be that the thermo is old and stopping water flow? it doesnt over heat, i can touch the motor on all sides and it isnt overly hot. this is the first time ive ran it in a few months, and last time i ran it it peed after just a few seconds or soo.

i tried cleaning the thermo, its atleast 3 years old, thats how long ive had the motor.

Jack Spratt

Cadet
Re: 1988 15hp

My 1978 Johnson 15 never had much water out the telltale. After replacing the thermostat, and impeller things are still the same.
The good news is that after a tank of gas, which is quite a few hours on this engine, things are still running fine.

ratracer

Petty Officer 1st Class

My '88 9.9 has always peed like a racehorse. Very strong flow with good pressure even at idle.

Have you tried using a pan of boiling water on the stove to see if the thermostat is working properly?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Mike....blow back through the tell tale line with compressed air. You just might have a chunk of mud or scale blocking the hole on the inside of the exhaust cover.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

I had to remove the threaded fitting from the exhaust cover to get rid of the clog in my 1983 15HP. I think it was hardened grease of some kind.