1987 Merc 115 ????

ROBBSRACING

Cadet
Hello everyone.

I just purchased what I believe to be a 1987 Merc. 115 The serial number tag is gone. Is there any other way to tell the year ? I am trying to figure out a few things. The first thing is WHERE the heck does the enrichener valve bolt to. Mine has a band around it with a bolt hole in it but I cannot for the life of me figure out where its supposed to be bolted too ? Pics would be great. LOL I looked at an older engine and it was bolted to a threaded boss on the case but mine doesn't have that. Next ? OK last question for now. On the plug coming from the control there are 4 seperate wires coming off from it rite at the main plug, they are NOT part of the main plug. It looks like 2 of them may go the power trim. Any idea on the other 2 wires that are left ?

thanks.

Last edited:

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 1987 Merc 115 ????

Look on top of the motor for a round welsh plug. The serial no should be on it. If its a 1987 the no will start with a B or 0B followed by 6 nos. What color are the wires you are trying to ID?

ROBBSRACING

Cadet

The wires are Green/White, Tan, Blue/White and Brown/White. They are coming off of the main harness plug from the quicksilver control.

I did buy a manual but it is vague to say the least. It covers about every Merc. outboard ever made.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Green/white and blue/white are for the PTT. Green(the water) is for down, Blue (the sky) is for up. They should go to the PTT solenoids.

Tan is the head water temperature sender and Brown/white is likely the trim gauge sender.