1987 mariner 40hp control box

ducote32

Seaman
I'm going to be looking a a 87 mariner 40hp after Christmas, but it's missing the controls. Could anyone lead me in the right direction of what controls will work? Availability will reflect the offer if it runs fine and compression check out. Thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
By the year and HP, that will be a Yamaha/Mariner. Any Yahama or Mariner control from that era should match up. As long as the engine connection plug is the same, it should work.

Chris......

ducote32

Seaman
Okay, just finished looking at it. 150psi on each cylinder. Clean, started right up, choke worked properly. Idled nice, shifted fine. It has a 10 pin connector for the remote. Tag says mariner 40ELT0 Code 6E9 L. Ser# 501642. Guy said he had a susuki remote on it earlier that worked. Any ideas on a remote that will work?

ducote32

Seaman
Alright everybody, tried calling some dealers and I'm getting no where with this control issue. Any help is appreciated, I've got till tomorrow to let the guy know about buying it, but want to line up a working one first.

ducote32

Seaman
Chris, thanks. I saw that controller earlier but didn't put it together that it would work. It looks like the mariner I saw has a Yamaha motor as well. The motor tested out great. He's asking $650 for it.

achris

Early Mariners (below 70hp) ARE Yamahas... Merc started changing them over to Mercs from about 1984. The 'conversion' was complete by the early 90s.

ducote32

Seaman
last questions on the 703 control, would it need a push or pull? Would I get mariner or Yamaha throttle/shift cables?

Last edited:

achris

Yammy Mariner and Yamaha cables are one and the same.... From memory those engines are pull... But check it. Most controls are capable of being configured for either.

ducote32

Seaman
One last question on cables, I found telefax 630 shift/throttle cables and Wanted to confirm they would work? If they work, I'll check iboats.

Yamaha 703 control to 87 mariner 40hp

ducote32

Seaman
Update, was able to find a Yamaha 703 control box, hooked right up, started right up, but control buzzer sounded and stayed in. I know it's not overheated since it sounded right away. Been trying to find the temp senser, but have not been able to find it. I looked in the manual, but couldn't find it. Does have solid stream on tell tale.

Anyone know where the sensor is? Definitely not on the head. Or what color the wires to it are?

Last edited:

ducote32

Seaman
Anybody have anything. Service manual just references overheat sensor, but it's definitely not on the head.