[1987 Johnson 90 V4] Prop Shaft removal

abgarza

Seaman Apprentice
Hello to all members.

I'm working on my lower unit and am stuck and I hope someone can share some knowledge with me.

First of all, I have a 1987 Kruger Baymaster with a Johnson 90 V4. I have the seloc but not a factory manual. The engine model number tag on my engine has long dissapeared, so I am not completely sure what the model number of my engine is.

On my last fishing trip, I heard/felt a "thunk" as I was idling along...no drop in RPM's. After doing some research, I figured it was the clutch dog, but of course, I need to tear the LU apart to see. I dropped the LU, had a three day fight with the bearing carrier, which I won after rethreading to a 3/8, applying heat, and a bottle of PB Blaster,, and have already gone through the other steps up past removing the pinion and pulling the drive shaft. I put the shift rod into reverse and have unthreaded the shift rod. It's my understanding that after some jiggling, the prop shaft and shifter assembly should pop out, but I can not get the shifter assembly to come lose.

Seloc suggests taking a slide hammer to it, with probable damage to some parts. Has anyone had to deal with this issue and was there an alternate solution?

​Thanks

abgarza

Seaman Apprentice
Update....Soaked the front end in PB Blaster...tapped around the front end wit the hammer, tapped on the shifter assembly with a long shaft screwdriver. then popped the prop shaft over and over until it came out. This has to be the first time in 20 years that the lower unit has been opened up. I know my dad before me never opened it up, Don't know if the original owner did or not.