1987 Johnson 150 issues

justcatchin

Cadet
Ok, here is my problem... 1987 Johnson 150 Model #150949C... Motor starts fine and idles fine, when i put it into gear it usually sputters and dies acts like it is flooded. Sometimes I can pump the throttle and it will pick up and run. Once it gets going it runs good but sometimes it gains rpms without moving the throttle. I have replaced all old hose and have hose clamps on all hose ends, primer bulb now gets hard without much pumping. I was just out starting a link and sync when I noticed the back side of the throttle arm not moving forward when at full throttle. This arm is two pieces with a spring that makes the back side move forward to the stop. I think it is connected to the stator which I believe advances the spark when operating at higher rpms, is this correct? If so is the stator bad or does it need lubrication? A little history on this power head, I had a piston explode last year and luckily the only cylinder damage was at the ports. I honed the cylinder and smoothed out the rough spots on the ports and put back together. It had been running just fine until last week at the lake and this problem started. Any help would be appreciated.

justcatchin

Cadet
Re: 1987 Johnson 150 issues

I couldn't edit for some reason, does the engine need to be warm and running for this lever to advance?