1987 dt30 fouling plugs??

woodducker

Seaman
I have a 2 cylinder dt30 and I'm not real sure where my problem is. Seems like I'm fouling plugs due to the gap I'm using. Motor will not start with the them set at .039. Fires at .020 but I'm not getting good idle but it will run at wide open but will foul plugs and will not start back up. I've cleaned and cleaned carb, all checks out under the flywheel, coils etc... Haven't checked CDI but I'm leaning to the CDI being bad. Seems like it might be an intermittent problem. I've replaced reed valves, redone wiring, checked all grounds, switches, etc... Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm not ready to drop $300 on nothing definite.

tommarvin

Ensign
I here you man, It's time to start testing ignition parts, and stop throwing money at it .Are you sure the idle jet is clean? First test spark on both spark plug wires with a spark tester,if just one cylinder you can swap the spark plug wires. are the coils ok?test them .2. test CDI power/ignition pack, test trigger, test stator.

Gap the plugs whatever the service manual says, this is not plug gap.problem, this is a ignition problem.

Go to cdi electronics.com fill in four lines to find your part,scroll down they have trouble shooting on all ignition parts, and how to test them.

woodducker

Seaman
Yeh, this thing has me baffled, I'm 99% sure the carb is good, ignition coil good, charging coil good, I don't believe it has a trigger and stator is good, cdi electronics does not list my motor and I can only test resistance of the plug wires(good). However I do believe I'm getting a weak spark. It also feels as if timing is off a bit. Again not real sure as I have done everything I can think of at the moment, may be an intermittent problem.

woodducker

Seaman
No I haven't got it to jump that far, I don't have a spark tester either, I've just grounded the plugs or used a screwdriver etc..to see spark. It also does not have a deep blue spark either, but I'm also manual starting not using electric start

tommarvin

Ensign
Get a spark checker, there cheap, and see if it will jump 3/8". If not is that bad or weak coil? Test the power/ignition pack is it ok, cdi explains how scroll down when you are at you power packs. I think you have to have a trigger if you don't a distributer? cdi explains trouble shooting, stator,testing and troubleshooting.

Are you sure all the small holes in the idle jet are clean? Take it out and push wire through them all.

tommarvin

Ensign
Get a Lisle 50850 ignition spark tester about 10 bucks, adjust it to 3/8 inch gap, will the spark jump 3/8" inch?

woodducker

Seaman
I haven't got a chance to get the spark tester but I am this weekend, I'm still leaning towards the CDI being bad. Wish I could find a known good unit to check

woodducker

Seaman
Replaced Cdi and as I figured was my problem. I've heard these units are bullet proof, but I've had a couple of outboards now that I've had to replace them. Oh well least it's going good now, it's a great little motor, lightweight and powerful