1987 40HP shift rod disconnect?

kaferhaus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok the factory manual shows a "pin" on the remote control linkage that's on the right side of the engine... IT says to remove this pin and push the rod towards the engine to disconnect the shift rod....

However..... that rod appears to connect to another rod thats pretty much in the center of the lower cowling rught under the carbs.... that rod has a bolt through it that appears to be attached to the actual shift rod.. Does that bolt also need to be removed? and if so how the heck do you get too it??? This is a VRO engine so the fuel/oil pump is in the way on the left side and the carbs and shift/throttle cables seem to be in the way on the right side..

Every OMC I've ever done disconnected at the lower unit.... Seems the factory manual on this engine left out a pretty crucial step in getting the shift rod disconnected?

Like to get this done today as I have no idea when I'll get another day off with decent weather..

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 40HP shift rod disconnect?

You are correct that it has the bolt(#10) thru the shift rod. To access this better remove the front air cover and base and also starter,then use a 3/8 bolt size swivel socket and extension to remove.They just pack to much under a small cowling....:eek:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

No need to remove the starter if the lower housing is removed. In fact if you have the right tools (small swivel & sockets) you can remove the bolt without removing the cover or starter. It just takes a bit of manipulation and time but it is far easier if the covers are removed.

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

That bolt does not need to come out. Pull pin as described in the OMC manual, disconnect shift lever link,then pushshift lever assy. to port side, the shift rod will now be released. Removing the starter will help you see what is going on down there.