1987 35hp Merc

duckhunter55

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Bought motor used, and from only hearing it run on the muffs. Started and ran fine. After putting motor on my boat, the motor will only start in fast idle, and would cut off upon bringing back to neutral. A local mech. suggested (cant afford for him to fix, and after he listened to it) that i had a leak under the powerhead gasket, and that was reason for not idling. Well long story short i replaced both gaskets under powerhead, and the old ones were shot, but it still does same thing. And secondly the motor has always had a rattle to it. Sometimes it will rattle in neutral, but mostly it will rattle upon acceleration. My mech thought it was cranshaft but checked it and said it was fine. IT is a very loud rattle, and i mean very loud, it sounds as if the bottom cowling pan is shifting back and forth and hitting powerhead, but it does seem to effect the motor when its running. My last question is, does the bottom pan cowling sit under the powerhead or on top of the powerhead, lip. ANd are the 2 braces on the front and rear of motor supposed to pull the pan up so there is a noticeable gap. Sorry about long post. THanks Luke