1987 350 Magnum - Mystery wires help!

acex008

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So I pulled my 1987 350 Mag out to rebuild and forgot to tag what wires went to what... I've downloaded the manuals and for the life of me can't figure out where the following wires connect to/are for. My boat is a 1987 Sea Ray Pachanga 22 with the 350 Mag. I have all the essentials connected and the motor is running fine and all the guages work. It has an emergency shut off tether switch at the helm and the audible alarm system.

I have a solid black and a solid green wire sharing a black wire loom coming directly from above the transom assembly that seems to (length wise) go to the back of the distributor. They each have a ring terminal on the end, the black wire being a few inches longer than the green. Could this be the emergency shut off?

I have a solid white wire that comes out of the wire loom just before the engine wiring harness plug which has a ring terminal on the end and is about 24" long after it exits the loom. No idea what this one if for.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1987 350 Magnum - Mystery wires help!

I doubt either one of your wires is engine related at all. The white wire is not used in a Merc wiring harness, so it's probably a wire put in from the boat manufacturer for something else. Look under the inst. panel and find the other end and see what it goes to,

As far as the green and black wires, Merc doesn't use green for anything either. You say it's above the transom assembly, what is on the outside of the boat that it could be hooked to?

alldodge

Staff member

Could use some pics to help. The Black wire is probably a ground and may have a 3/8 ring terminal or larger. Many are fastened on a stud on the back of the engine block. Can not locate a solid green or white. Would the white possiably be tan?

acex008

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I will post pictures tonight when I get home. I do believe these are specific to my boat and not "standard" to the Merc harness, that's why I don't know what they are for.

The white wire is DEFINATELY white and not tan. Since it is within the wire loom of the main engine harness, I'm having a hard time following where the other end terminates but will be doing some more digging this weekend.

The green and black wires are within a black "jacket" sort of like shrink wrap tubing but never "shrunk". It is attached (white plastic wire clips) to the fiberglass at the transom and follow along the starboard side and exit the engine compartment towards the helm... They have smaller 1/4" ring terminals, so not big enough to go to the motor stud. And they don't exit the boat.

I haven't had time to trace the other ends of these wires since it's going to take some deep investigations due to their location. Oh and thought I would add that the motor and electrical system have never been tampered with other than typical maintenance. So, all original to the boat with no additional accessories added or anything.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I haven't had time to trace the other ends of these wires since it's going to take some deep investigations due to their location.

Well, that is what you are going to have to do. Being a 25 year old boat, it could be anything. Even previous owner installed.

acex008

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know... :concern: Just was hoping someone had an idea for these wires while I'm here at the office.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... Green has been used for Bonding systems,...
Kinda sorta an extra Ground wire for the fuel tank, 'n fill fittin',...
Usually goes the the motor's block,..

The Black could be the fuel gauge sender Ground wire,....
Which would go to the battery's ground post,....

Not even a guess on the White 1,...

Look for a White wire by the helm, or where ever the loom goes too,...