1987 3.0L Idles Low and Rough in Neutral

Searay87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
1987 Mercuiser 3.0L 4 cylinder 130 HP Alpha 1 drive

Had the boat out tonight for a test run. Works great at the high end but it idles in the 300-400 rpm range and sounds like it wants to stall while in neutral. I have the shop engine manual and it's supposed to idle in the 650-700 rpm range.

Just looking for some advice form the experts. Is this a carburetor problem or could it be something else? Could it be the spark plugs fouling? Fuel filter issue? I've read threads about buying a carb rebuild kit. Is this something a beginner should attempt? Where do I start?

Thanks

Bob

Bondo

Staff member
Re: 1987 3.0L Idles Low and Rough in Neutral

1987 Mercuiser 3.0L 4 cylinder 130 HP Alpha 1 drive

Had the boat out tonight for a test run. Works great at the high end but it idles in the 300-400 rpm range and sounds like it wants to stall while in neutral. I have the shop engine manual and it's supposed to idle in the 650-700 rpm range.

Just looking for some advice form the experts. Is this a carburetor problem or could it be something else? Could it be the spark plugs fouling? Fuel filter issue? I've read threads about buying a carb rebuild kit. Is this something a beginner should attempt? Where do I start?

Thanks

Bob

Ayuh,.... With a basic Tune Up, 'n Service,....

plugs, cap, 'n rotor,... inspect or replace the plugs,.. compression test,... filters, gas, 'n oil...

If it still then runs like crap,... rebuild the carb...