1987 200 HP Black Max Carb

cedarlattice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 200hp Black Max on a boat that I recently purchased and rebuilt the transome. It had not been in the water in 6 years. It fired up fine and ran with muffs on the trailer. Idled great. I put it in the water and at the ramp I noticed that water stopped squirting out of the tell tale. I pulled the boat and ordered an impeller kit for it. I replaced it and took it back to the lake. When I went to get on plane it just bogged down. No spitting and sputtering, just no power. It never quit. I pulled the boat. I took the carbs off to clean them. In the top carb there is only one jet in the front on the right side. ( I believe they are the Bowl Vent Jets) But there is a threaded hole for one on the left. The middle carb has both jets. The bottom carb has one jet on the left side and an empty threaded hole on the right. I am wondering if this is normal.

cedarlattice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks Dukedog. I cleaned them up and replaced a couple sketchy gas lines and it runs like a top.

cedarlattice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Correction..........Runs like a top on the muffs. Put it in the lake and still no power. Runs great but will not get up and go. I'm wondering fuel pump? or choke stuck?

Dukedog

Captain
Could be carbs but but really sounds like a stator. Hard ta say ona computer, A bad stator will will idle and run smooth up ta somewhere around 2 ta 3,000 then just won't go any higher although will still be pretty smooth, just won't "turn up"......