1986 Tohatsu 50 HP

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I was given a 1986 Tohatsu 50 HP by someone upgrading to a new motor. I was told it runs. I have time to work on it now and before I put any money into it I want to see if the thing does in fact run.
As of now it is mounted on the back of a boat but none of the controls were hooked up. I hooked up a battery and plugged in the control box wires then I checked to see if power tilt, starter would work but nothing.
Without getting into checking all electrical connections what would I need to do to hotwire it so I can start it by hand with a pull rope? If I can prime it and get just a few putts out of it to show it runs I will move forward with fixing it but I need to see some life in it first. Any help?

Andy

Attachments

• 50HP.jpg
    50HP.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Tohatsu 50 HP

A true vintage oldie, remove plugs, check if all plugs will produce a spark, if so, clean carbs & all related gas parts, look for impeller, gas diaphragms wear, change plugs, tail oil. If that model does not have recoil starter assy, wind a rope CW on flywheel and pull vigoriusly or get a good bat to start the engine electrically.

Happy Boating

isaksp00

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks like there is some corrosion on a couple of the wire connections to the right. At minimum, I'd clean those (and any other obvious corroded ones) so you don't get "false negatives" due to simple things like that.

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I guess I wasn't clear.
All the things you mention are what I will do once I know it runs but for now I just want to squirt a little fuel in the cylinders, hotwire the run switch wrap a rope around the flywheel manual start and see if there is any life so the short question is where on the motor do I connect a jumper wire to bypass the run/ ignition switch?

Thanks, Andy

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

You could remove the hot + wire from starter solenoid, attach direct + battery line to it, make a negative (-) touch to ground and see...

Happy Boating

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You could remove the hot + wire from starter solenoid, attach direct + battery line to it, make a negative (-) touch to ground and see...

Happy Boating

Wouldn't that be hot wiring the starter motor?

I'm looking to manually start it with a rope, not the starter and just want to make the ignition hot so that it will get spark. Is what you describe how to do that?

Once again, Thanks.

pvanv

Admiral

It's a magneto. So disable the kill switch, and a running motor will run as long as it gets gas/oil and pumps water, unless something fails. Why disable the electric starter and exercise your shoulder, when you can twist the key?

Pontoon24

Petty Officer 3rd Class

It's a magneto. So disable the kill switch, and a running motor will run as long as it gets gas/oil and pumps water, unless something fails. Why disable the electric starter and exercise your shoulder, when you can twist the key?

SeaRider, pvanv, isakps00, I have to apologize. Wasting all your time. I feel like an idiot.

I went out after reading the last reply, plugged in the controls, turned the key on, wrapped a rope around the flywheel, pulled the plugs, squirted fuel in the cylinders, reinserted the plugs and gave the rope a yank. It started up for the few putts I needed to hear to prove to myself that the thing does run and that it would be worthwhile setting everything up. Thanks fellas,

If I hadn't been born a bloody fool...

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Don't worry, that's the purpose of the forums, besides, nobody is born with boating knowledge, all of us have passed through a slow tech learning curve...

Happy Boating