1986 starcraft islander 191 140 mercuriser

15shorty

Recruit
i have removed the floor and the foam looking for leaks because i want to dock the boat this year found a couple loose rivits and plan putting 5000on seam and reseting the rivits then gluvit the seams in the boat. trouble is the trasom is rotten where the foam cam in connect with the trasom .do i replace the whole trasom or just the rotten area it seams solid around the outdrive . what kind of plywood do i use and do iseal it with any thing my son wants to keep the boat in the family so i want to fix it right i have spent many hours on lake erie in it and never been towed in . that new gas has been giving us problums so i added a large fuel filter and i am making a new thasom

out of marine plywood what should i seal it with . the gas tank is junk i got luckey and found a hole from electroles the tank was pitted throughout my friend can make me a steel tank the samesize could someone tell me what to seal the tank to keep it from rusting. the boat is completely gutted i plan on doing the inside seams and rivits with gluvit. any help would be apreated.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1986 starcraft islander 191 140 mercuriser

Welcome to iboats.

1st tin SC I recall that's still w/ it's original owner. Nice, clearly you've taken great care of her to this point, if a 25+yr old boat only has a couple soft spots on the transom, and they aren't around the outdrive & keyhole. Replace the transom & your grandkids & their future family can enjoy it too.

Look thru the SC resto's here:

Starcraft Rebuilds and Restorations, they're all here!

Loads of good info to help w/ your resto. I'd guess in a significant portion of them (OB's or I/O) w/ small areas of soft wood that's easily id'd on a transom, have much more damage hidden.

Most are surprised to find how much really is damaged when they pull the wood.

It's no small amount of work to replace the transom wood. If you do, seal it well, protect (cover) the boat when not in use, store it bow high with the bilge plug removed, you'll not only have the confidence that it's seaworthy, but also that it will be for a long long time.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 starcraft islander 191 140 mercuriser

A good friend of mine has that same boat and I've spent a lot of time on it. Great boat. You're off to a good start with the leaks, identify them, mechanically fix them if you can (re-buck the rivets) and then Gluvit as much as you can to insure against future leaks. Your transom though sounds like it needs to be replaced. A patch job really isn't the best idea because the transom needs to be one solid piece to properly distribute the forces of the motor. My friend had to do his also. He paid a local mechanic to remove and store his motor/drive then he brought the boat home and replaced the transom, and then had the motor reinstalled. This is his project: http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...y-project-1991-starcraft-islander-359551.html