1986 Mercury 60hp isn't getting gas.

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice
okay now that my ignition troubles are solved and I'm getting spark (btw the middle cylinder isn't sparking, but I'm thinking that's just a bad coil.). The engine isn't getting any gas. Both carbs have gas in their bowls, but none is getting out. I took both carbs out and cleaned the jets then sprayed them down with carb cleaner. Reinstalled and same thing, gas in the bowls, but none comes out the jets.

I also sprayed starting fluid into the carbs while trying to start the engine and it didn't try to run.

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1986 Mercury 60hp isn't getting gas.

Okay, I took the carbs back off and cleaned them again. Now fuel is flowing and it starts up and runs for a little bit. I need to find my thing to hook the water hose up to it now to see if I can get it started and running, even if it is just on 2 cylinders. Then if it's all good I can buy a new coil (if that's the problem) and a set of controls.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

If you started the motor without water, you may want to order a new water pump impeller as it will melt in just a few seconds without water.

Remember, there is NO RETURN on electrical parts. NEVER ASSUME any component is bad and start replacing parts. It can get very expensive by the time you get it fixed.

If you think a coil may be bad, switch it with another one to see if the problem trades places. If so, order the coil.

If not, try switching the trigger wires on the switchbox, if the problem traded places it is more likely that the trigger is at fault, if not it is possibly the switchbox itself that is failing on the one circuit.

Test twice and PROVE the fault before ordering any electrical part.

CDIElectronics has an excellent Ignition Troubleshooting Guide available for free on their Support pages. Using a DVA meter they walk you thru all test necessary to prove any ignition problem so as to only order what is actually necessary for repair.

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice

No I used one of those suction cup things that hook up to the water hose.

If you think a coil may be bad, switch it with another one to see if the problem trades places. If so, order the coil.

If not, try switching the trigger wires on the switchbox, if the problem traded places it is more likely that the trigger is at fault, if not it is possibly the switchbox itself that is failing on the one circuit.

Test twice and PROVE the fault before ordering any electrical part.

CDIElectronics has an excellent Ignition Troubleshooting Guide available for free on their Support pages. Using a DVA meter they walk you thru all test necessary to prove any ignition problem so as to only order what is actually necessary for repair.
Thank you sir. I'm thinking I might not have checked the plug right. It's really hard to hot wire the motor and check the plug at the same time by yourself. I bought a new ignition tonight and wired it up, when it started it ran smooth. I couldn't really check anything though since it's getting a little late and I didn't want to upset the neighbors.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

You still need to ensure that spark will arc hot blue across a 7/16 inch gap on ALL cyls.

With no load on the hose you can still have 1 dead cyl and seem to run fine.

Test to be sure as once on the water, it wouldn't be fun.

Zq8 Blazer

Seaman Apprentice

You still need to ensure that spark will arc hot blue across a 7/16 inch gap on ALL cyls.

With no load on the hose you can still have 1 dead cyl and seem to run fine.

Test to be sure as once on the water, it wouldn't be fun.

It's morning now, I'll get on checking that out.