1986 Mercury 35HP choke all messed up

aMeyers11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I first got this motor the manual choke was working but not the electric choke. I put the plunger in the solenoid and the electric choke started to work, but would not return from being choked. When I got the electric choke working the manual choke alignment got messed up and didn’t work right. I spent a ton of time trying to align it and figure it out and I ended up just removing the manual choke for now. Today I spent way too many hours trying to figure out how to get the electric choke to return after the plunger is pulled up and the flap closes. I’ve adjusted the spring many many different ways and can’t figure out how it could possibly pull the choke flap back open. At this point I just feel totally lost. This is the one thing wrong with this motor and I’m sick or taking the hood off and doing it manually at the launch. I’m unsure what I’m possibly doing wrong. I’ve flipped the spring in every direction and tried all kinds of tensions on both nuts. Right now the electric choke plunger pulls up and closes the flap but the flap has to be moved back open by hand. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. This feels so over engineered and I feel very dumb for not being able to make it work lol.

also note that previously the springs were totally under the washers and it still wasn’t working. I have no clue how the spring does anything. It doesn’t move or anything.

Attachments

• 534E2E5A-6627-407B-9221-C8B8276E62A2.jpeg
    534E2E5A-6627-407B-9221-C8B8276E62A2.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Mark ofs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have the same motor....you need to hand wind the spring a few times to get tension on the spring when you put it back together

Mark ofs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
After looking at the picture closer...something isn't right with the current setup...I'll see if I have some picts for you..

Mark ofs

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Here's a picture from the service manual, and a view behind the faceplate, kind of looks like he spring is upside down, note the bend goes away from the base....

Attachments

• Choke spring.PNG
    Choke spring.PNG
    89.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Choke2.PNG
    Choke2.PNG
    816.8 KB · Views: 10

aMeyers11

Petty Officer 2nd Class
thank you so much for the pictures. This should be a huge help. I never tried winding the spring further to get tension. I’m sure that is a big part of my problem. I will try to get the spring oriented like that diagram and wind some tension and hopefully that will do the trick. I will report back when I get the time to fix it. Thanks!!