1986 Johnson 90 V4 idle question... again...

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice
Hello guys

I thought i had my problems solved, but no....
First an brief take on what i have done to the boat this winter...
I changed the fuellines, both from the tank to the engine and the ones under the hood. All the clamps are also new. The carbs where cleaned thoughly and rebuild with OEM BPR parts. Floats were set at level with the base of the carb, just like on the video that i have seen on youtube:) The gap on the sparkplugs is also correct.
I have also changed the trottle cables and instaled a voltmeter. I know the the voltmeter is just connected to the + and - wires on the battery so it is not the compleatly right way to do it. The battery is also brand new.

So after the long winter here in Denmark i tried to start the engine up around a month ago. Of course fresh full were put in the tank. It started right up, but after a while it began to have these small stumbles at idle, which was original why i rebuild the carbs to get rid for that. After these 2 sec stumbles it would go back up to normal idle. The funny thing about it was that at the time the engine stumbled the tell tale water got hot. I have posted a thread earlier and some told me the temp. range on the cylinder so a couple of days ago i was on the lake and there was no problem with the water from the tell tale getting hot or the cylinder was also under the temp. range. At that time the stumblin in idle was also gone but i didn't go that much in idle but i thought it was gone. I adjusted the idle because it was a little low. It should be noted that the engine runs great from idle to WOT.
Then yesterday i was on the lake and i thought the idle was a bit high so i adjusted it down a bit, but the when i had to put the hood on again the engine would slowly die but if i took the hood of it would go to normal idle again, and then the stumblin began again. It was quiet a annoying because i thought i had the problems solved. After this i went back to the harbour and on the way in i noticed that the voltmeter was a bit under 12 v. And to do matters worse the trim/tilt would only go down but not up, but i managed to get the boat out of the water and then hit the relays a bit and then the trim/tilt would go up again.
Hope that anyone can give me a clue on where to start so that i can get this great engine running smothly:)
I have made a video of the stumblin and the idle, which is a bit high because otherwise the engine would die.

Here is the Youtube link :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nENPEG2co4

just turn the volume down a bit and you can here the stumblin. I sorry for the pour picture quality.

Hope that anyone can help me...
Regards Jannik

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 Johnson 90 V4 idle question... again...

When an engine runs ok without a cover and stumbles, idles roughly or dies with the cover in place, it is usually due to a small exhaust leak from the gasket between the power head and the mid section or that insufficient air is being allowed into the engine. The exhaust gases causes the rough running. A carb rebuild that did not get the idle passages thoroughly clean can also affect idle quality. When carbs are removed and reinstalled, synchronization of the throttle opening vs ignition advance should be done which is generally referred to as Link & Sync. Part of that process ensures that all throttle plates being to open at exactly the same time, and that they all close at exactly the same time. If this is not happening all sorts of low speed/idle issues may occur. Throttle shafts that have worn in the carb house can cause idle issues.

blimp

Petty Officer 1st Class

You also might want to check for a wire with the shielding worn off. I had a bad connection causing a similar poor idle (one of the wires to the powerpack) causing it to loose spark in a cyl at low engine speeds. Checking for exhaust leak and doing a link n sync are both great suggestions as well.

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

Hello again
Thanks for the replies, it gives me some clues on where to start.
Now that you mentioned the thing about the exhaust comming under the hood, i noticed that there is a hold between the rngineblock and the lower unit and when i took the hood of there cam exhaust smok from that hole, so the gaskets there must be bad.
One more question - do i really have to take the hole engine apart to change the 3 gaskets. There is one under the engine block and then 2 in the exhaust housing?
When am at it i will do all the basci checks, compression, spark, do a link&sync and check all the wires and connectors.
I will let you guys know what i find, and if you think of more things that can be wrong then let me know.
Thanks again.
Jannik
The first picture is the engine seen from the right side(in the sailing direction)
The second picture is closer to the engineblock where you can see the hole where the smoke i coming from. (the red circle)

Attachments

• 2011-04-13 17.31.32.jpg
    2011-04-13 17.31.32.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-04-13 17.31(r?d).jpg
    2011-04-13 17.31(r?d).jpg
    154.5 KB · Views: 0

Janniklindskov

Seaman Apprentice

Hello
I just wanted to update you guys a bit...
I got the original manual for the engine and followed the linc and sync procedure. Then i closed the hole in the rubber gasket under the lower part of the hood, so there is not coming any exhaust in the hood. The things seem to work, because yesterday i was out on the lake and the engine ran fine. It will have to do for this summer because my winter project is to totally rebuild the engine, i don't want to start when the wheather is nice and sunny.
Thanks again for the replyes i will proberly post some more this winter.
Jannik