1986 GT150 Upper Driveshaft Seals

mak747

Cadet
1986 Johnson GT150 J150STLCDC.

Getting ready to replace the water pump on this motor and was wondering if it would be a good idea to replace the upper driveshaft seals at the same time. There is no indication of them failing, but thought that while I had it apart I might as well replace any seals that I could easily get to. Is this a simple remove the 4 upper bearing housing bolts, slide it and the seals off drive shaft, replace two oil retainer seals and O ring and reinstall, or is this one of those jobs that falls into the "if it aint broke dont fix it " category. Also if there is any other recommended maint I should perform while I have it apart please let me know.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1986 GT150 Upper Driveshaft Seals

If you do this, you might as well replace the o ring for the shift rod, as it is also accessible when you do the water pump. They both can leak lower unit oil with age.

mak747

Cadet

emdsapmgr, thanks for the suggestion, I will look into ordering one of those also. When I go to pull the upper driveshaft bearing to replace the oils seals, will I require a puller, or will I just be able to slide it up the driveshaft after removing the four screws?

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Don't think you need anything special to get the seal housing out. The thing to watch is that you will be putting two seals in and they go in back-to-back. You don't want to damage the seal lip of the top seal when you put it in seal face up. There should be a special tool for installation of the top seal.....