1986 Evinrude 40 Primer Question

hawk-eye

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, on my 86 Evinrude 40 (E40ELCD) I have a couple questions about the primer solenoid.
1 - Which dircection slould the red arm be facing when in the run position and when in the manual postion?
2 - Should there be a noticable differnce in engine perfomance when the manual arm is moved while engine is running? When my engine is at idle and I move the arm nothing changes. I am wondering if my primer is faulty.

Thanks for the help

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1986 Evinrude 40 Primer Question

i have seen them get clogged up.

Primer Solenoid
the primer replaced the old choke butterflies in the carborators, pushing in the key activates it, like the old choke plates, but injects fuel directly into the intake.
The red handle is used when your battery is dead, and you have to rope start. You move the handle 180 degrees.
Normal operating position is with the handle back over the body of the solenoid, like in the picture below.

Attachments

• primer solenoid.jpg
    primer solenoid.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 0

hawk-eye

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the speedy resonse.

Should the engine performace be affected while moving the arm when it is ideling at normal opperating temperature?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

moving to the manual position should flood the motor, and make it shut down.

hawk-eye

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you.... ill look into that as soon as possible. I know the engine idle dose not change at all when I move the arm so Ill start with the primer. I will start another thred about a linkage settup wich the problem may ba related

Once again thank you for your support.