1985 V4 Carb ?

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a quick question.Im not very boat motor mechanically inclined.
I think its time to have my carbs gone through on my 1985 Johnson V-4 90hp.It loads up a good bit on idle, it doesnt smother itself out or anything it doesnt lean sneeze either.
But my question is I talked to a marine mechanic in my area and he quoted me $50.00 a carb to rebuild them,is this a good price and exactly haow many carbs does this motor have?
Thank you for your help in advance.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1985 V4 Carb ?

That 1985 90hp Johnson has two (2) dual throat carburetors. To do the rebuild job properly, it takes about three hours from start to run out which includes test run and adjusting, setting idle etc.

However, if your engine doesn't "sneeze" at idle or hesitate (want to die out) when throttle is applied, I would suspect that your problem has more to do with a improper fuel/oil mixture or a VRO pump in need of rebuilding/replacing rather than fouled carburetors..

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1985 V4 Carb ?

Joe,
Im runnin her at 50:1 due to the VRO is dissconnected.
I am using 1 of those measuring bottles to make sure I get the mix right. I think im running a little heavy on the oil but i didnt think that was bad, cause last thin I want to do is run it without enough oil..
I decarbed her not long ago like yall said to do and yall aint kiddin when you say it would make a world of difference, she runs like new.
If I could just figure out the loading up on idle.
I thank yall for all the great help I get on this site.